data sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of questions probably easy to some here.

Often whilst at work we note data sockets often pulled out or there plugs a bit shabby and told they have to jiggle the wire about to get it working, so sometimes asked if we can do anything with them whilst on site, usually just as a favour for a cup of tea or something to eat.
If its too involved they can get the data people in, but usually it looks simple.
There nothing fancy just outlets to kitchen printers

So

Are the punch down wire sockets ok to reuse or should a new module be used

How important is the cable pair twist right up to the terminal.

With the modules, i don't see any way of clamping the sheath, it just seems to lay between the terminals, I expected a small cable tie slot, when the face plates manoeuvred onto the back box, surely it pulls on the terminals.

Any tips on how to terminate appreciated, is there a preferred order to terminate.

Sponsored Links
Most RJ45 modules usually have a place to cable tie the cable to the module (sometimes between all the terminals). I have reused plenty of the punchdown modules without any issues. As long as the proper tool was used previously so that the metal still pierces the insulator yet still holds the cable it will be fine. I believe specifications say the twist should be as close to the terminals but in reality you would get away with a couple of cm untwisted. Just make sure to use a decent punch down tool and not a flat blade screwdriver ;)

I have one that LOOKS like this from RS it looks to me like it pushes the wire either side of the slit , I assume that prevents making the slit wider,
I was given it years ago when we put in the now defunct "ZONE PHONES", anyone remember them. http://cellnet.illtyd.co.uk/ct2
we fitted the transmitters in Post offices
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...on Control Ltd CT2&pg=PA38#v=twopage&q&f=true

However would that be suitable, are the phone type slots same as data slots, I will have to see if it has a part number on it.
ct34.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
yeah that punch down tool is perfectly fine to use (assuming not damaged, worn out. but you would be able to tell) Also make sure you use it the right way round. The metal part on at the bottom one side (like scissors) are to cut the excess cable after its been punched down, so make sure they are on the outer edge of the terminals. They don't always cut the excess off cleanly though.

I have one that LOOKS like this from RS it looks to me like it pushes the wire either side of the slit , I assume that prevents making the slit wider,
Yup, that's the tool to use on virtually all modules these days - it's for Krone terminals, it's rare to come across 110 punchdowns over here.
I was given it years ago when we put in the now defunct "ZONE PHONES", anyone remember them
Blimey, blast from the past ! I tried them when they first launched, found the handsets were crap and kept crashing IIRC. That's apart from the problem of finding a base to use.

As to the original question ...
If in doubt, fit a new module. I've seen a few where they get "a bit dodgy". But as said, if the terminations aren't damaged, then re-terminating it can fix a lot of problems. But if it was previously terminated with a screwdriver or knife then it needs to go in the bin.
Keep the twists as close as you can to the terminals, and strip off as little sheath as possible - don't do as I've seen a few times and strip a few inches to a full foot of sheath and untwist all the cores :rolleyes:
It doesn't matter what order you terminate the cores in, other than doing it in whatever order makes it the easiest. And of course, make sure you put the cores in the right place or things don't work properly ;)
Ideally you should test the socket, but as with power electrics the "proper" test gear is quite expensive - a good tester runs to a few grand :eek: As a minimum, one of the cheap testers that just tells you that each core is correctly connected with a series of lights is better than nothing. http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/testers/9553-ccs-cable-continuity-tester-5056045700448.html

For the smart a**e, "the right place" depends on the wiring standard in use for that installation. 568B is by far the most common IME (I've also come across 568A, 110, and one or two "custom" schemes) - if you don't know what standard is in use, then you need to check.
Most modules are marked either with 568B, or both 568A and 568B schemes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back