Date and time in folder name

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a new folder is created, it's called 'New Folder', then we right click to re-name it. Is it possible, to insert date and time as part of the name by using just two key-strokes? I thought it was, but have forgotten how. Any advice much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Quick creation of new folders is something that IMO MS have left out of Windows Explorer and is a bad mistake.

Many users are often making new folders daily, especially at work.

So I found a software solution called BXNewFolder, it makes it so that you only have to press F12 then you get a popup box where you type in the name (you could enter the date & time here as long as you use permitted characters).

I find it excellent on Xp/VIsta although it is no longer needed on Win7 as MS finally caught on and have mapped this ability to Ctrl+Shift+N.

Sponsored Links
You can create a new directory anyway by hitting Alt-F (File), W (New), F (Folder). And you don't have to right-click and then use rename if you just type the required name followed by Enter immediately following those commands.

So Alt-F W F MyDir <CR> to create a new directory named "MyDir" for example.

Some of the MS packages (Excel, Word etc.) have keyboard shortcuts to enter time or date (e.g. Shift-Alt-T or Shift-Alt-D), but I don't think there's an inbuilt function which will work when naming a directory.

Do you really need a date & time in the name anyway? A directory listing shows the modification time for sub-directories contained within it (although that might not be enough if you really want the original creation time).

Back