Timber Fireplace - How? See pic!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to remove a nasty brick fireplace surround discovered when we moved in.

I would like to create a fireplace which i've seen a picture of on the internet. The address is http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/faux-fireplace.jpg

I have also uploaded this pic to my album folder.

Does anybody know what the construction of the fireplace is? Presumably it can't be a fire insert (due to fire regs etc.) but it looks a painted finish?

The idea would be to create the fireplace complete with shelving similar to that in the pic so the whole thing needs consistancy.

One other question. If I decide to remove and dispose of the current stone flag hearth, how do I bed down a new hearth given that the flooring is timber. If I concrete dab won't this rot the sub-floor?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the chimney breast has just had mouldings and a mantle shelf fixed straight to the plaster with separate shelf units (MDF) to the sides.

Your hearth will not be sitting on the floorboards they will stop just under the hearth and there will be a concrete slab

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back