Daughter spilled drink over gas cooker and now ignition constantly clicking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi allas the title says, my daughter spilled a full cup of hot chocolate over the gas cooker, it seems to have got into the ignition switch and shorted out the contacts so that it is constantly clicking. I've isolated the electrical supply to it to stop this happening.
I'm looking to get into the switch and try to clean it out 20230310_191925.jpg

I assume I just remove these 2 black screws to remove the front panel? Since we're in the vicinity of gas here I don't want to start just removing things without understanding what I'm doing.

Also, anyone ever had this, I don't know the makeup of these switches and if it's a matter of just drying out or if it's likely to be damaged beyond repair

Sponsored Links
You need to thoroughly clean around the burner rings, and let everything dry out. Then retry.

Blup

You need to thoroughly clean around the burner rings, and let everything dry out. Then retry.

Blup
Hi, do you mean the actual burners on the top of the cooker or the rings to control it on the front? ( Apologies probably a dart question but I'd rather be sure)

The tops fine as the glass cover was down so all liquid came down front if cooker

Er, yea I'm a bit confused by blup's post too. I'd start by seeing if you can disconnect the wire that goes to the switch that got the drink spilled on it. If it stops clicking with the wire disconnected you can look to clean out the switch; perhaps a rinse under the tap, toggling/pumping the switch, followed by a blast with an air compressor or similar, will be enough..

If you do attempt to dismantle it, be prepared for a small spring to ping out and get lost forever more into the carpet!

Sponsored Links
its worth noting its the sugar that will probably be causing the problem, it makes a fantastic sticky that dries to a solid
you may find that a bit off lubrication maybe something like wd40 all gas off' no more than hand hot surfaces within 4 ft then spray on the button play with the button [push several times pull several times] and see what happens and be prepared to do it again or clean it propperly

If you don't fancy undoing the cover, the switch should prise out from the front.

...and if a cleanup doesn't work, a new switch is only £5.50 (use the compatibility checker first!).

I've used electrical contact spray cleaner. Seems to free up those sort of things easy

I had the same in a rental property.
Tried all of the above but didn't work.
So I used a steam cleaner with fine nozzle attached (gas and electric isolated!)
Let it dry for a day, then sprayed electric contact cleaner and let dry.
Once reconnected all worked perfectly.

I had the same in a rental property.
Tried all of the above but didn't work.
So I used a steam cleaner with fine nozzle attached (gas and electric isolated!)
Let it dry for a day, then sprayed electric contact cleaner and let dry.
Once reconnected all worked perfectly.
Did you have the front dismantled when you did this to get direct access to the contacts?

I would expect the front panel to be released by undoing those two screws. I would not expect it to be possible to remove the switch, without access to the rear, because the retaining lugs of the switch, splay out too much for that. Attempting to just pull it out, will break the lugs.

Having got the switch out, I would be tempted to soak it in hot water, to dissolve the sugar, with several changes of hot water. Then finally a good rinse under a flowing cold tap, followed by draining, and being left somewhere warm to dry. You might be able to speed up the drying, by applying a compressed air line, if you have access to one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back