Daylight through gap in door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a job I have put off for too long now and as its winter, it is now a bit of a problem!

I have double glazed, pvc patio doors - (not 3 way openers, just straight out door type openers!)

When I open the door, I have to practically lean my body weight quite sharply on the left hand door handle. The door swinging/ opening action does not feel impeded.

When I close the door, I have to really it pull it towards me and yank the handle quite hard upwards, to seal the door. The door closes fine - no rubbing.

Locking the door can be difficult if the yank was not upwards forceful enough.

There is daylight if the yank was not upwards forceful enough.

Daylight is seen at the top of the left hand door from the right edge for about 6 inches (from right to left hand side). Also, daylight is not obvious when it is dark :)

I did have a quick look this afternoon and noticed two slidey bits of plastic on the top and bottom of the frame - looks like they clipped onto runners. I can freely move these back and forth as if they were designed to do just that!?

I assume the clunky handle, key locking and daylight problems are related so what can I do to fix this? Also, are the slidey bits still meant to be there or are they intended for installation use only?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
hi sounds like the doors are in need of adjusting on each door there are 3 external hinges on top of each hinge is a plastic cap remove each one and inside you will find an alan key each one needs doing in turn do the middle one first then do the others the same amount of turns this should adjust the doors to stop the daylight
the plasticy things as you say are there to help the door to centralise and stay in that position do not remove them you might have to make some other adjustments to the locking mech get 1 door closed first then see if the other lock lines up with the handle pulled up lock the key this will help you to see if the mortice part of the lock lines up with the keeper slot if not adujst the keeper by drilling more holes and refixing it higher
there is also some sideways adjustments as well look on the rear of the hinge and you will again see 1 plastic cap if they have been put on inside there is an alan key find the correct size and turn see which way it moves TIP use a pencil and mark the original poisition so you know how much you have moved it

best of luck mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back