Unable to open French Doors!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there
M y double french doors that open outwards are stuck and i am unable to open them!
i am able to move the key to open the lock and it opens the locks at the top an bottom of the door!- although it does not appear to open the main lock in the middle!( i can push the door out and see daylight at both top and bottom of the door ) Would it be wise to force the door open?? - Or would this damage the door?
Other thing to note is that when you pull the door back onto the frame and pull the handle upwards and turn key to lock it appears to lock fine!

Im more used to solving plumbing and heating problems so any suggestions would be helpful !

thanks

Sponsored Links
:(

don't know then

I suppose it has a Euro profile lock cylinder

If you can attach a photo of the lock mechanism (where visible) and the maker's name on the key, it may trigger some answers.

Sponsored Links
I know a picture would be helpful although i am unable to post one at the moment the lock looks to have an L on it! and the key says LSH

trying to fiddle around with the door all night!
It appears to lock and unlock fine - it feels as though something is blocking the door from opening!

The hinges of this door are on the outside - does anyone have experince of taking this type of door off its hinge. I wana avoid forcing the door open as scared i will totally damage it!

Right! i managed to open the doors and i can see that the hooks (three) do not fully retract into the door when i pull the handle down! - Does this mean i need a new lock? or is there a way to repair!?

im wondering if something has siezed up.try spraying with silicone lube,wait a bit sray again and then give the doors a bit of a rattle?

Thanks for the reply! i will try that tomorra as i have managed to get it locked tonite! Hopefully i dont need a new lock!

Tryed WD40 and still no joy!
The three hooks are just not retracting into the door fully! Need to take it apart tomora

it is possible (if the door has them) that the top and bottom shoot bolts have slipped out of the mechanism. you would need to take the mechanism out of the door, reset the shootbolts in the right place and put a dab of superglue to stop them popping out again..

Problem sorted.......managed to force door open......took lock off of door and just tryed puttin it back on :confused: :evil:

:LOL: Lock is now working better than before! something must have been jamed!

Glad i dont need a new lock!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back