De-scaling a thermal store with DS-3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a thermal store which provides combined hot water and central heating. It's been rumbling recently and after some research it appears it requires de-scaling.

I have tried X400 followed with X200 + X100, but that fixed it for a short period. But i read on the forums that X200 is only a temp solution and DS-3 gives better results.

Looking at the Fernox DS-3 instructions these are just for hot water systems. I'm thinking of turning off all the radiators first and keeping the central heating set to off. Drain the tank/boiler and fill with DS-3 and fill back up. Set the stat to 60 degrees and set the hot water on.

This should just de-scale the tank and boiler. But when draining/rinsing the system, do i need to just drain off the boiler/tank or the complete system? I have 3 drain points: boiler, tank and rads.

Would any DS-3 get into the heating system if it not turned on?

Thanks

Barry

Sponsored Links
There is no mark / name on the tank, i'm trying to de-scale inside the actual tank. not inside the hot water coil. i think there is a lot of build up in the base as the drain valve is clogged up.

I think it would be very unwise to use DS3 to descale the tank.

Are you sure its full of something rather than the drain cock washer stuck?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The tank rumbles every now and again, which i believe indicates localised boiling, which is linked with scale. Would you still recommend DS3?

WHat sort of thermal store is it?
Is it heated directly from the boiler, or indirectly via a primary coil?

DS-3 is to dissolve limescale, not magnetite/boiler scale. Nothing you've put in so far will do a lot to dissolve limescale. X400 is pretty timid on boiler scale too.
DS-40 will attack boiler AND lime scale, as will Kamco FX-2.

There will be a pump to CH circulation but unless there's a 2 port you'd get some thermal convection circulating it through an "off" pump. If you use an acid for scale(s) you'll have to use a neutraliser, which does no harm, so you'd "do" the whole system.

Work out the volume of the thermal store. You'll need a lot of chemicals whatever you use.

Hi ChrisR,

Yes, it is directly heated from the boiler, the same water is then used to pump around the CH. A coil in the tank is used for HW. So the tank temp is required to be quite high 70-80 degrees.

I don't think it has been regularly maintained and obviously the high temp will cause the scale inside the tank. I know the X200 is some sort of de-scaler but i think it is for mild issues. This has helped but not solved the issue.

I estimate the tank to hold around 980 litres of water.

What would be the best steps with DS-40 or Kamco FX-2?

As this system is around 20 years old are acid based solutions advisable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back