Dead cable run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please be gentle with me, I've had a shed power installation for a number of years now but recently it failed basically a cable in the spur got water in and has corroded with the electric current through it to the point that it wont work. I have tried replacing the point of corrosion with a new length of cable but no luck, have checked the CU and the fuse is intact (we are still using the old style fuse wire, rented house) but when I try to switch on the CU in the shed nothing, nada zip. Ive checked the feed from the house CU with the power off and got no reading at all using my multimeter yet in the shed with the power off I get a reading of 13.5 using the 200V ac tool.
Anybody know whats happened?

Sponsored Links
Can you give us a bit more information of the cable run between the house CU and the shed CU. How long, what sort of cable(s) how many joins (that you know of). Could be a failed joint underground but depends on how the cables been run etc..

The cable between the House CU and the Shed CU has AFAI can see 2 joins it was in one of these that water got at the cable. The outdoor run is a suspended (impossible to sink underground due to geographical factors) swa cable grometted at both ends and showing no signs of ingress or damage, internally the SWA is jointed to a T&E spur which then joins the same again through a junction box (where water got in) to a House CU situated approx 7metres away, house is stone built with a brick extension and the feed for the shed is in the brick extension which has its own CU from which the cable runs. The house has oldish style wiring with pull out fuses rather than the modern trip ones.

If you are a tenant then give your landlord a ring and get them to fix it.. it's not yours to fiddle with!!

However if you are the landlord then get an electrician in to fix it!! you have a duty of care to your tenant to get it fixed correctly!

Sponsored Links
I had the landlords permission to install it, I will be getting an electrician in as Ive exhausted everything else the only thing left is the cable from junction box to CU.

Have you tried the fuse for the shed circuit in another way on the house CU, just to verify its not actually blown. Its not unknown for re-wirable fused to look fine but to have failed out of sight in the porcelain holder or near the clamping screws. Failing that you need to check all the connections including those at the house CU and if possible test for voltage at each connection.

My money is on a loose or corroded connection or the fuse having blown.

Let us know if you find the cause.

All the best
Dan

Have you actually tested for continuity or volts at each join along the cable starting from the house CU end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back