Dead grundfos alpha 2 after a week

If the second picture is the right way up the pump is mounted in the wrong orientation. The Alpha 2 pumps are self venting but not if it is mounted with the head upwards. Have a look at the installation guide.

Sponsored Links
If the second picture is the right way up the pump is mounted in the wrong orientation. The Alpha 2 pumps are self venting but not if it is mounted with the head upwards. Have a look at the installation guide.

Thats a floor you are looking at otherwise the pump in the other image is glued too the tiles. ;)

The pump was mounted with the bleed screw up. The manuals I've looked at have this as a 'don't fit it that way'.
RTFM!!

The installation instructions are quite clear:

2. Install the pump with the motor shaft horizontal. See fig. 3, pos. B.

Your shaft is vertical!

Instructions for the earlier Selectric models make clear why it should not be vertical:

Where pumps can only be installed in horizontal pipework, it is
imperative that the pump shaft is horizontal, or slightly higher
at the vent plug end.
The shaft must not fall below the horizontal plane, even by a
few degrees, as this causes premature wear of the top bearing
and shaft.
Pumps should not be installed with the shaft in a vertical plane,
as this may lead to dry running of the top bearing, noise and
possible pump failure.

If you can get the supplier to replace something which has been damaged because you did not reading the instructions, good luck.

Otherwise, it's an expensive lesson!

Sponsored Links
Some of you have misinterpreted what i said!

I said that I had "covered" about 15,000 new pump installations but only CHANGED two!

I would have changed any that had failed under the guarantee but only two did.

Many others failed from dirt but that was not covered under the warrantee.

Thats not me in the picture, I keep my hair shorter than that!

Tony

Thats a floor you are looking at otherwise the pump in the other image is glued too the tiles. ;)

Didn't even notice the tiles. I've spent too long in the trade and can't see anything other than heating components now.

The Grundfoss Alpha 2's are not self venting unless you get the A version that needs to be mounted with vertical pipework, so vent is upwards.

The non A type needs to just have the pump horizontal so bubbles can get back out the exhaust & not fill the pump.

I had found the supplied instructions a bit pictures only so downloaded the more detailed ones from the Grundfoss website & followed them.

I also noticed the Fernox had slightly different instructions with it & on the container.

The fernox does have 'add a bit at a time' but no obvious warnings about adding a bit too much or even lots.

Pump supplier will replace pump so I'm grateful to all.
And will bother to get the next parts from them as well...

I do need a new boiler, the existing one you can see the flames refected in the lino under it !

Chris
~~~~~

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back