Dead Rat Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lady that I work with lives in a listed cottage and has a dead rat under the floor, seen by my borescope camera.

First, it smells, so is there anything that could be poured over it to absorb the smell?
(thinking cat litter/bicarb) until she figures a way of extracting it.

second, their painter suggested that as the building is listed, even cutting a floorboard for access would be problematic? I don't think that listing would prevent that.

she aims to pull back the carpet and look for a cut board, but may have to cut a fresh hole nearer to the rat.

Given the weather, it's getting ripe.

And yes, if there is a rat there, how did it get in and are there more?

Sponsored Links
I'd probably tell her to wait until it's done decomposing and then it won't smell.

Maybe you could try and hook it with the borescope?

Make sure to criticise her poor hygiene and blame her for it, that always goes down well.

We get that here about once a year. Very old 160 year old row of terrace houses. It stinks and lasts about 10 days the smell. Windows open!

Yes, it's a sweet, sickly smell (we used to live at the back of a farm!) but will go after a week or so.

Sponsored Links
A listed building only applies to the structure and features of the property, not the floorboards. If you know where the rat is, and there's no cut board nearby, then just cut through the board above it along the line of the joist (put a knife down a joint, and find the joists), and put a piece of 2x1 on either joist, then drop the cut piece back in place. A pair of rubber gloves, and putting a platic bad round the rat will let you pick it up easily.

A listed building only applies to the structure and features of the property, not the floorboards. If you know where the rat is, and there's no cut board nearby, then just cut through the board above it along the line of the joist (put a knife down a joint, and find the joists), and put a piece of 2x1 on either joist, then drop the cut piece back in place. A pair of rubber gloves, and putting a platic bad round the rat will let you pick it up easily.

Noooo... cut bang on the centre of the joist, avoiding any nails. No need to screw batons on. Check for pipes and cables first! Google will explain.

I've got the tools to cut in the centre, but I felt they wouldn't have. I'd noramlly agree with you Mitch, but they've got a borescope camera, and should have mentioned to check for pipes and cables before they go ahead, but I assumed they'd do that, so thanks for the reminder. Much appreciated.

A listed building only applies to the structure and features of the property, not the floorboards.
Yes it does. Listed buildings can be inside and out - and need to get permission to remove floorboards. You even need to write to councils for permission to plaster, to install an alarm box or CCTV. I live in a conservation area and did a fair bit of research when moved in as we were told our house may be listed.

I would remove the entire wood floor and find out where the rodent entered the property.
Then concrete the floor.

Yes it does. Listed buildings can be inside and out - and need to get permission to remove floorboards. You even need to write to councils for permission to plaster, to install an alarm box or CCTV. I live in a conservation area and did a fair bit of research when moved in as we were told our house may be listed.

I agree, have you ever had a listed building survey to see exactly what the condition of your property is and what the so-called 'integral features' are, which can include internal fittings like floor boards, doors, windows etc. There is more of an explanation about integral features in this article https://www.ernestbarnesltd.co.uk/5-things-youmust-consider-listed-building-extension/ You might not be able to pull all the floor up and then concrete over the top. Have you sought the help of local pest control or your conservation officer? I would probably get in contact with both of these before you decide what to do.

To finish off the story,

She borrowed my borescope and saw the dead rat, lifted a floorboard which turned out to be next to a sleeper wall holding the floor up, so couldn't access the body to remove it

She bought an anti smell bag and dropped it near the body, and the smell went
They then noticed quite a few flies
They went off on holiday for a week and on their return, no smell and no flies

Thanks all

But the flies will have laid eggs which will eventually hatch and cause an infestation of more flies in an on-going cycle.
She really needs to remove any remains and thoroughly disinfect the area where the rat was, then lay bait traps under accessible areas so they can be checked/changed for a couple of months.

Sponsored Links
Back