Dealing with alarm cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So currently decorating a bedroom in our house, the wiring centre for the intruder alarm is in the built in cupboard in this bedroom and the wiring has all (rather poorly in my opinion) been run under the carpet and then at a hap hazard angle to the alarm control centre. (See pics)

So the bit at the edge of the carpet I'm not to worried about, it can stay under the edge of the new carpet but where it crosses into the cupboard is annoying as I want to put a door bar there, lay a bit of laminate in the cupboard and carpet in the room.

Anyone got any creative suggestions on how I can deal with this myself without disturbing the alarm centre (which I know will have a tamper switch on if I undo it.) We don't actually use the system, but I don't want to turn it all off and strip it out incase we decide we want to in the future.

My only idea is to gouge a trough in the floor where the divide is and carefully reroute the cables through this, but does anyone have any better suggestions, this seems a bit crude? There's not much slack in the cables either and I'm slightly nervous about disturbing things too much and setting the thing off (previous bad experience teaches me this could happen!)

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
The cables look taut and stapled in very.

I would have look under the conduit going up the wall to see how tight the cable is entering the panel, maybe some slack but wouldn't hold my breath.

easiest option might be to take the carpet into the cupboard full stop but not what you want.

or start the laminate based on the carpet entering the cupboard and going beyond the alarm cables a little, so you still most of the inside of the cupboard laminated and the join isnt on the cables.

Without opening the panel not so sure your going to find enough slack to move the cables significantly or easily.

knowing the alarm system you have we may be able to give you options on joining cables, or disconnecting and re routing the cable under the floor rather than over it.

Thanks for your replies above.

After a lot of thought I've decided to just contact the installer and see how much they will charge to sort this out, I might even get them to recommission the system for us at the same time. We don't use it at the moment mostly because we have cats in the house and I'm unsure if they will trigger the sensors, but it does seem a bit silly having it and not actually using it. It was installed by a local company (EPS alarms) and is branded as such, although I suspect it's a generic system that has been re-banded.

Sponsored Links
The keypad that is for the alarm should make the system identifiable.
The reason being seen so many systems be rehoused inside existing housing, cant go off the control panels external housing to be 100% certain its either the keypad attached or open the unit up to get a positive id.

Cats should have limited run of the house when the system is set, the biggest issues with cats is that they jump on to work surfaces, tables, climb walls especially wall paper ones and curtains (Pet wise detectors cant really handle this behaviour). If you want a workable alarm you may want to look at perimeter protection like shocks on windows if the cats are to have free roam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back