Dealing with boarded ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a room in our house which has some sort of mdf boarding on the ceiling. Where the boards meet underneath the lining paper, there is filler which, when papered leaves lines which stand out when the lights are turned on.

I am looking at the possibility of using a thick lining paper to try and reduce the visibility of the lines and have read lots and lots of good reviews suggesting that both WallDoctor paper and Wallrock Premium are good enough to cover up a wide range of uneven surfaces.

I have uploaded a picture of the ceiling I have in mind and wondered what people thought? What are the chances that one of these "top quality" lining papers will cover all/most of this so that I don't have to go the route of having it reboarded and skimmed? I did think about textured papers but really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

I know it sounds cheap but money really is pretty tight at the moment so anything which is going to make it look nicer at a lower price would be ideal!

View media item 66775

Sponsored Links
Get an electric sander on it first and see what you've got.

OK, I did wonder about sanding stuff back, but wondered about how sanding something which has the lining paper on it would work?

Would I just sand the lines where the joins/paper are most visible or the whole thing?

With the lining paper already being up there do I need to pull that down before starting sanding?

Sorry for all the questions, DIY isn't something I'm too experienced at!

Sponsored Links
I would strip the lining paper off, to see what the problems are underneath, then fill make good and then apply the lining paper.

Maybe you could think about fixing plasterboard over the existing ceiling, fill and tape the joins , cost a bit extra but would give a better finish and not be a problem in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back