Death on the high street. .........leaves me feeling a little sad shattered dreams.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not so much for the big shops but it's regrettable that people will be made redundant.

But..........

You see it a little shop open up someone's dreams ....not of making a fortune ....just a modest living

Doesn't matter if it's a pet shop or whatever ........

Months later closed someone's dreams shattered.....very sad and I feel for them.

Puts me in mind of a cafe not the same ........

A great little cafe ....you could get a home cooked meal, fresh veg ,meat, yorkshire puds all freshly made and popular .......the lady owner sold it, one of her staff bought it and changed things to make it easy. .........tinned veg, potatoes peas etc etc not worth eating there anymore she changed things and made it unpalatable.
That was a error not a new venture that failed. Still sad.

Sponsored Links
My friend, Russell, opened a paper shop 6 months ago but it folded last week.

Last edited:
High business rates, rents high

This countries obsession for property as an investment and neo liberal drive that makes shareholders the winners -hence the high street is all big chains

Every high street and shopping centre is the same -a boring repeat of the same chains.

Sponsored Links
Yep, so many shops make the point of putting a sign up saying "in discussion with landlord about the rent rises". Quite a few empty shops around here. 2 more fast food shops have opened since I worked in this town (one year) though - the obesity crisis isn't going to go away in a hurry!

Down to greed in my opinion, high rents and rates and the reluctance of people (including me) to go out and about shopping. Online shopping is so convenient, even for food etc, that high street shops do not get the footfall that they used to get. I will admit though the proliferation of Chinese sellers on Ebay and the like is beginning to make me take much more notice of who I buy from online. When I buy from Chinese dealers it takes an absolute age to get here and a significant number of transactions "get lost." It is extremely difficult to deal with Chinese sellers when this happens. I am finding that, more and more, I have to open a dispute on Ebay to get satisfaction and even that can take an age. eventually Ebay do honour their money back guarantee but it does take some persuasion.

We used to have two veg shops on our local shopping street. The last one closed this weekend.

It was good as well, and we used it regularly. They even did a Halloween night, where the kids could go in the back and get scared. It was really part of our community.

Our local shops are doing well in the (very large) village. We've lost our banks, but still have a green grocers, bakers (now Greggs), butchers, newsagent with Post Office, card shop (how do that survive), plus about 50 hairdressers, Boots chemist and a Coop. And a betting shop, of course.

So pretty handy really - I have no need to go into town unless one of the kids drags me to the cinema.

You see it a little shop open up someone's dreams ....not of making a fortune ....just a modest living

little shops are often opened as a hobby by bored wives, or people with a redundancy wedge.

these people usually have no experience of retail, often no understanding of business, but have an interest in hats, or cupcakes, or clocks, and know several other people in their social circle with similar interests who encourage them

You have to ask, if the previous shopkeeper, with a lifetime of experience, contacts, stock and goodwill, couldn't make a go of it, what chance does an inexperienced dilettante have?

Remember that most business startups go bust within a year.

The point of business is not to have a hobby.

It's to make a profit.

I'm just on my way up the town now to switch from Sky to Virgin. At the virgin shop.
I'm making the effort to do locally as opposed to on line or telephone

It's down to us

I ordered a travel cot online from our local Argos. When I went to pay and collect it, I was directed to a card machine in the middle of the store to enter my reference number and pay for it. Not even a dedicated 'pay here' counter anymore. I said to the woman who directed me “You're doing yourself out of a job”. How long before each Argos store has just one employee and we just order and pay online and collect it from a hole in the wall?

I don't agree with the sentiment.

What is the point of a shop if no one needs to go there?

Times change.

I used to have to go into town to the local office to tax the car, then to another office to insure it.

As for the Argos example, they may as well have delivered it to you.
As for going somewhere to a shop, or two, to change from Sky to Virgin, just a waste of time - and petrol/pollution/congestion if you had to drive.

Highstreet was selling this tat anyway. :mrgreen:

ff0518131la41.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back