Debt collecting

I send three reminders over a two-month period. The first two polite, the third advising that if the invoice is not paid with 5 days, then a County Court claim will be made.

And I don't entertain any excuses from then on - if the money is not received, then I fill in a claim online on the evening of the 5th day.

All costs are then added to the claim.

Once they get the notification from the Court, and they offer to pay up, I make sure they pay for the costs of bringing the claim and any other 'incidentals'.

Sponsored Links
i went to look at a little job on sat a gate post had been knocked down and some of the wall, so i gave the bloke a price which he agreed then said i've got the money now if you want paying

:rolleyes:
I've got a tricky one at the moment, not sure what to do.
Did a job back in Oct subcontracting for another firm. Insurance company didn't pay them on time. After lots of chasing finally went round to their office and got a cheque last week. But the boss of the firm said, could you just wait until next week til you pay that in as we're supposed to have had a big payment in this week it's got sent to the wrong account number, (showed me a list of unpaid invoices).... blah de blah de blah.... in fact could you ring me first to check it's come in..."
Now I'm probably being totally stupid, but I didn't want it to bounce. So I left it a couple of days rang him yesterday on his mobile, was "out of the office couldn't check the bank balance" today he's saying could I leave it until the end of the week....
Sounds like a complete put off to me.
However, I still have a cheque.
Do I risk paying it in and it bouncing... or do I wait another week to get the same excuses :oops:

speak to your bank about it, i think you can pay to get special clearance on it

Sponsored Links
I was once owed £1400 by a Warrington based firm for work that I had carried out in a local ASDA store. Finally got sick of their excuses and told them that I would be at their offices 9 am the next day for payment. "What if we don't pay?" they said. " Then I'll go into the store concerned and recover the materials that you haven't paid for" says I. "What will that do?". "Cause a great big flood" I said. Turned up next day and cheque was waiting. That is just one of the reasons why I only work for private domestic customers now. Touch wood, no probs to date.

:rolleyes:
I've got a tricky one at the moment, not sure what to do.

It may be true, all business have cashflow issues at some stage, and its no good you cashing it if there are no funds. But you can't wait forever either

Tell the guy you are paying the cheque in at the end of the week as agreed, and if he wants to avoid any possible charges, then he should make sure it is honoured.

Remind him politely that it is actually and offence for him to have given you a cheque which he knows he can't honour, and you will consider taking that further too

My customers pay on completion. That is understood from the start of the job. If money is not available, then Ill 'bend' their arm to ensure payment.

Many a time ive driven a customer (30 miles sometimes) to get my payment, as my terms are laid out and there is no lee way in delaying payment.

If your money is important, you will do anything to get it. To me, if I do a job and my customer has signed to pay on completion, they will.

2 times ive had a problem, but the money has always available..... eventually.

Dave

My customers pay on completion. That is understood from the start of the job. If money is not available, then Ill 'bend' their arm to ensure payment.

Many a time ive driven a customer (30 miles sometimes) to get my payment, as my terms are laid out and there is no lee way in delaying payment.

If your money is important, you will do anything to get it. To me, if I do a job and my customer has signed to pay on completion, they will.

2 times ive had a problem, but the money has always available..... eventually.

Dave

do you tarmac drives for a living?

Yeah. I layed a red tarmac road surface today. Its a cyclepath... psychopath

Dave

Dave

We shouldnt have to bend arms, take them to the bank, ring up next week, keep chasing them all the time.
They are quick enough to get you to do the job, but very slow in paying for it.

Its awful that we have to take measures into our hands, but what can we do, we can only take so much, and sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
In a way I admire you all for turning off thier electic, gas, removing the slates from the roof,or the bricks from the wall you have built.

I have even removed wallpaper when a customer tried to pull a fast one, fortunately the paper was still wet, the other walls I tore my stanley blade across it, I hated doing it, but he had really pi55ed me off, never listened when I told him his choice was the wrong one, and the wrong type of paper for his walls, he then insisted I hang this paper over the worst walls I have ever seen, then the barsteward blamed me cause he could see bumps and lumps in the wall. :eek:

There are two sides to all stories, If they think they have a gripe then listen and put it right. your only as good as your last job not your first.

Usually you can an get a gut feeling about dodgy payers build protection into written quotes.. retain ownership of mats and rights of reposseion etc

Cheques that your asked not to cash yet.. talk to your bank. they wont tell you details but can give you a hint.
I've had a cheque which was a long time coming then was asked not to cash it yet... went to the bank and asked for advice.. They checked and I was told simply "i'd ask for cash".. (same bank as I use)
Got paid in the end.
Dont except i'll post it tomorrow, Just say i'll pick it up as i'm in the area.. turning up on the doorstep is great!
Failing that small claims.. it isnt expensive and I would do it out of spite regardless of cost if it gets that far.

well having given them more than enough time to have got their 'cash flow' sorted out I paid the cheque in last week. Then I got a letter from my bank saying it had bounced. Luckily they represented it and it cleared the second time so I now have the money paid into my account. But I really shouldn't have had to wait so long. Next time that person askes me to do any work it'll be strictly payment up front or no work done!

I have a feeling they may not be in business much longer

Good News - Small Claims in Scotland have increased the threshold to £3,000 (from that stupid, not worth the hassle £750), I believe its £5,000 in England.

Timed it right as I was just negotioting court proceedings for £1300 owing since last year, so hopefully should get a hearing by March.

Familiar story - strip, skim, decorate 4 rooms - wife delighted with job and paying £500/week in retainers (for first 2 weeks). Hubby comes home from offshore and starts niggling about time taken so I said lets square up now and renegotiate before we start rest of house. Not paying another penny says he, also got another decorator in to finish job - and by the way we're delighted with your work! Find out later he does this all the time and there are several very unhappy trades about town.

The only problem payer I've had in 4 years so I can't be doing too much wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back