Decent carbon filters for solder fume extractor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've some large PC fans which I've chained together and plan on attaching some carbon filters to the back of to act as a diy solder fume extractor. Can anyone recommend an online shop/seller who sells the genuine article? There's lots available on eBay etc but I'd like to be sure that I'm getting filters which actually 'filter'.

I do have some of this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260987352067
but I'm not sure it would provide adequate filtering of solder fumes?

Any advice much appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
@Sureitsoff? Thanks for the reply. Are Hepa filters required for this type of filtration? I've read around and I kept hearing about simple carbon filter sheets which should provide the filter quality for solder fumes? I could absolutely just open the windows its just damn cold! Plus fumes never really always go out windows, they still end up loitering around a room. I'm not doing a lot of soldering, just hobby electronics stuff. So I just wanted a simple, non expensive solution.

Found some! The Pi Hut had some. There are also some from RS Online, don't know why I didn't check there in the first place!

Sponsored Links
In our work environment, with factors such as employee health monitoring and HSE audits to take into account; our risk assessments don't allow soldering, without fume extraction to the outside, or HEPA filtered extractors.

The activated charcoal filters may be better than nothing in the home environment; but just looking at the big holes in the foam matrix, shows that they are not the best at capturing small particulates!

As @Sureitsoff? states, the absolute best way to deal with solder fumes, is to extract to the outside. This might be as simple as a tumble dryer tube, mounted on the back of your fans, and draped out of a window! :)

...and the carbon filter can still be useful...for capturing surface mount components that are accidently sucked up by the extractor! :)

Interesting video here?:

Gizmo,
For DIY bench top use I have a similar system to yours - for me to stop flux smoke raising into face and lungs. I only use activated carbon filters.

I tested range by putting soldering iron into flux to create smoke. And was impressed to see the smoke disappear as it goes though the carbon.

Did try a HEPA (flat paper filter) but that dropped flow rate and was therefore less effective at pulling the smoke away.

Of course as said - for me all for DIY application.

Sfk

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@RandomGrinch Yeah this kind of thing certainly isn't for a professional workplace. But for light hobby work it should be sufficient. I might go down the route of the tube out the window but like I said, having the window open is damn cold! And energy costs what they are I'd like a solution which keeps me warm. ;)

@SFK Thanks for that. Out of interest, do you place your fans in front of the filter or behind them? It likely makes no difference but thought I'd ask!

All the ones I have used (of that type), have the filter in front of the fan.

And if you have someone else around during a long soldering session, a second nose popping around the door, will quickly give you a good idea of whether the fumes have got overwhelming! :)

do you place your fans in front of the filter or behind them

I always try and put air fans in front of (before) the resistance (the tube). In part becuase I feel that fans are good at blowing, but not good at sucking.

However in this case I put the filter infront of (before) the fan. Simply because filter easier to remove and change.
In basic terms I made one of these out of scraps: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funien-Extractor-Absorber-Adjustable-Soldering
(I also have a room extractor fan like in a bathroom).

Having looked for that link I saw these: have you seen these filters?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=solder+filter

SFK

Last edited:
I made one exactly like this guy (even put some leds on it as well like he did)

Can't remember if I put a filter in it but will certainly look at doing that if not.
Have quite a lengthy hose on it so that gets the fumes a good distance away.

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I'd seen that DIY Perks one previously. He does some great stuff doesn't he. It's a little too much effort though currently when I have so many other electronic things to fix! :)

I went with some filters from pihut which ended up being ones from adafruit, which I'm chuffed about. I trust them so that's what I was looking for. Basically not getting some nameless Chinese filters which might be doing absolutely nothing. One alteration I have made is buying a cheap mic arm and just mounting one fan to it. It's looking like it will work really well and allow me to place the filter/fan wherever I like, really close to what I'm soldering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back