Fitting Kitchen Chimney Extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just about to install my extractor chimney. It's the type which can recirculate using carbon filters or extract to an outside vent. Obviously the best option is the latter as I have access to the outside wall. Unfortunately, the installation instructions just say that I will need to buy an additional kit for the venting, which I guess means the tubing, and the external vent.

So, please tell me if I've got this right:

I can use the cooker hood kit (or similar) available from Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13076&ts=51403

This has the metal hose as opposed to the plastic stuff - which is not recommended for installation in a chimney extractor and to the outside vent surely?

I then need to drill a hole in the wall that's at least 100mm wide for the hose so I can use a 110mm TCT core drill for this?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Sponsored Links
The distance from the vent to the outside, there will be a recommended maximum for you extract unit.

As its a metal duct you may get condensation problems with it. May be worth considering a drain or lagging the duct. This will depend upon where the duct is running. eg if it runs through cold roof space.

nstreet said:
The distance from the vent to the outside, there will be a recommended maximum for you extract unit.

As its a metal duct you may get condensation problems with it. May be worth considering a drain or lagging the duct. This will depend upon where the duct is running. eg if it runs through cold roof space.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'll be running it directly out of the wall rather than bother going through the ceiling, so ideally, the hose will come out of the extractor unit and make as an immediate 90 degree turn as possible and through the wall. That should limit the length to less than a metre if I've got my calculations right. I hadn't thought about lagging though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back