How to install extractor flue

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new extractor fan for our kitchen. It can run in recirculating or extracting modes so obviously I'd prefer to set it up as a proper extractor. However, the unit we are replacing was a very old recirculating model so there is currently no flue or extraction pipe installed.

Our house is a bungalow with a traditional tiled roof. My guess is that it should be possible to run the flue from the extractor up through the loft (very easy to do in our house) an then add some kind of flue/vent to the roof.

a. Is this a valid way of installing an extractor?
b. Can anyone point me in the direction of a flue/vent that is compatible with a slate roof?
c. Any pitfalls to this job that I should consider?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
The duct can be run through the loft as you suggest. probably the easiest way is to run it to a point on the soffit and fit a grille.

Keep it away from any opening windows or doors to prevent extracted air re-entering the building.

As the roof space can be cold in winter, insulate the ductwork to help reduce condensation forming and position it so that it slopes downwards towards the outlet so any condensation can run outside.

Alternatively it is possible to fit a stack through the roof, but this is probably more difficult for an average DIYer (especially one that doesn't know if they have "a traditional tiled roof" or "a slate roof" ;) )

A stack would really need a condensation trap fitting to catch any condensation that forms in the vertical section otherwise water may run back into the extractor.

Thanks for the incredibly detailed response. Much appreciated. As regards the condensation trap and insulation comments they are well noted. I went through that with a badly installed bathroom extractor fan in a flat I used to own.

Unfortunately our current house was built in 1741 so has no soffits. The slated roof runs down and meets the stone wall without any overhang at all. As a result, the only way is up and through the roof.

A bit of digging online has thrown up the following products:

http://www.klober.co.uk/product3.php?id=75

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/43099...feed-_-Building-_-Universal Inline Slate Vent

As it happens, access to the roof is easy so, provided our tiles are over 25cm wide, I suspect it might not be too difficult a job?

Cheers,

iep

Probably a stupid question but I presume you are not fitting it on an outside wall.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not. Even if I was though it would still be tough as the walls are 1.2m thich stone!

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back