CDA Island Extractor Not Sucking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT: I should have posted this in 'Appliances', I have asked for it to be moved.

I just installed a CDA EVPK90 Island Extractor, its ducted to a length of about 2m from the point at which the duct enters the ceiling, and the ducting length is straight without twists/turns etc. I removed the flap doors from the top of the extractor unit itself because the external vent has an integral flap.

With the extractor set to its first power mode, I have tested with a smoke tablet (which you light), I have also tested whilst cooking and the extractor simply does not pull in any smoke at all, even on its highest setting. I have tested holding a sheet of kitchen roll up to the underside of the extractor whilst its on and it doesn't get held in place, it simply falls.

I have checked the vent externally whilst the extractor is on and the integral flap does open (on setting 1) and air can be felt rushing out.

It does come with a warranty, but I'd like to identify the root cause before involving the manufacturer as it must be something simple? I also removed the duct from the top of the extractor unit and with the unit on air is rushing out as I would expect.

Another point, if I turn on the extractor without the ducting attached, it runs quietly but there is a fairly significant change in tone/speed once I attach the ducting, almost like putting your hand over the end of a vacuum cleaner.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Do you have adequate air intake into the room/house? A fan sucking on a sealed room does not perform well. Passive vents, gaps under doors etc?

Do you have adequate air intake into the room/house? A fan sucking on a sealed room does not perform well. Passive vents, gaps under doors etc?

Interesting point, but I've tested it with the house entirely open (all doors open), at present the kitchen doesn't have a door to close it off to the rest of the house. Also, doesn't the air rushing out through the vent externally show that air is flowing?

If there's air flow going out of the top then it must be entering the unit from somewhere.
In your other thread from 2012 you said you have used smaller ducting than recommended by the manufacturer which is probably part the reason you hear a change in tone when you connect the duct as it will pressurise but as you can feel air flowing through then you should have something.
Daft question, have you cleaned the filters?

Sponsored Links
I would check the internal baffles / blanking flaps again, if the unit still doesn't perform with the ducting disconnected.....its sucking air in, but not from the correct place!
John :)

If there's air flow going out of the top then it must be entering the unit from somewhere.

Daft question, have you cleaned the filters?

Its a brand new unit, so the filters are spotless. I ended up using 120mm ducting but the unit recommends 150mm, it does state that performance would be degraded but this unit simply isn't sucking anything - watching it this morning whilst cooking pancakes, the smoke was rising, hitting the underside of the extractor and then running out and around the sides of it.

One thing that I haven't tried yet is to disconnect the ducting and then smoke test it, I'll give this a try.

I'm also going to call the manufacturer on Monday to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks all for your help/advice so far.

Is it a case of having a duct connected, but having the mechanical thingy inside the extractor set to re-circulate? I know on some you have to set this to the correct position........

Is it a case of having a duct connected, but having the mechanical thingy inside the extractor set to re-circulate? I know on some you have to set this to the correct position........

I have reread the manual many times and can't find any mention of a switch to toggle between recirculate or external extraction as this also occurred to me :(

There won't be any sort of electrical switch (I've never come across one, anyway)......the recirculation or outdoor venting facility is done by adjusting plastic flaps inside the appliance, to direct the extracted air in the right direction.
When the outdoor venting is required, the carbon filter pack inside gets removed - this is only used in recirculation.

There won't be any sort of electrical switch (I've never come across one, anyway)......the recirculation or outdoor venting facility is done by adjusting plastic flaps inside the appliance, to direct the extracted air in the right direction.
When the outdoor venting is required, the carbon filter pack inside gets removed - this is only used in recirculation.

Thanks John - sorry I did mean a physical switch of some form, but still couldn't find such a thing, however what you have mentioned concerning carbon filter is interesting. I'm going to call the manufacturer this morning so hopefully can update you all later with some positive news :)

Aye good luck with it......remember, if the appliance can't exhaust, then it can't suck anything in!

Aye good luck with it......remember, if the appliance can't exhaust, then it can't suck anything in!

Thanks John - does the air flowing out of the external vent prove that the device is exhausting in your opinion?

It has to, really - and there should be quite a volume of air there too - enough to open any louvre flaps on the outside vent.
Of course, at this point we don't know if the unit is sucking the air in from the correct area, i.e the grille itself! Maybe its just pulling air in from elsewhere.

It has to, really - and there should be quite a volume of air there too - enough to open any louvre flaps on the outside vent.
Of course, at this point we don't know if the unit is sucking the air in from the correct area, i.e the grille itself! Maybe its just pulling air in from elsewhere.

Yeah, even on mode 1 the airflow externally is quite immense! I've just spoken with CDA, they commented that there is a mechanical switch to toggle between the two extraction modes, interestingly however the manual doesn't feature or mention it. She's asking an engineer to call me back.

But...regardless of the switch wouldn't the extractor still suck in from the underside anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back