Swimming pool filter pipe leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pool pump and filter that was installed I'm told about 3 years ago. First time I've had a pool pump, so I no next to nothing about them.

It was dripping from day 1! Gradually getting worse, then spraying more and more.

I tried adding some clear silicon to the joint once apart and left overnight before tightening back up but it hasn't helped.

The top pipe fitting between the filter and filter valve switch selector is leaking where the two pipes touch.

Threaded side from the filter and short pipe that screws into the filter valve switch selector don’t seem to be leaking on there threads.

Both pipes same diameter just touching with some glue and the big nut then pulls these two flat ends together for a seal!!! ( This looks wrong to me)! You can see light all the way across when pipes are just 1mm apart.

I've undone the large plastic nut. I can't be sure but I can't see an o-ring seal anywhere! But without taking it all apart I can't be sure.

From what I see online mine look a bit different and no apparent o-ring!

The pipe from the filter butts up to the pipe from the pump valve, but it's just two hard flat plastic surfaces as far as I can tell.
Is this how this should be connected?
Some very sticky glue here where the two pipes ( touch ), but I was expecting to see a rubber seal, large washer etc, see photo.

The parts externally seem in good condition. But without taking apart I can’t be sure if there are any o-rings!

Thanks for any info on best way to fix this.

IMG_20220520_140117-50.jpgIMG_20220520_140228-30.jpgIMG_20220520_140328-30.jpgIMG_20220520_140305-20.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pretty common to seal a pipe fitting with instant gasket rather than a plastic O ring. If its leaking just clean off the old gasket well before adiing some new liquid gasket, reconnect the pipes hand tight then another 1/4 turn after the setting time.

Pretty common to seal a pipe fitting with instant gasket rather than a plastic O ring. If its leaking just clean off the old gasket well before adiing some new liquid gasket, reconnect the pipes hand tight then another 1/4 turn after the setting time.
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I'll have to go shopping for some liquid gasket and try again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back