Swimming pool waste into soil pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to vent a swimming pool filter waste outlet 1.5 inch ABS pipe into a standard plastic 110mm soil pipe?

I'm installing an outside toilet in an outbuilding which joins onto the pump room and I'm planning to run the soil pipe through the pump room. To solve the problem of running two sets of pipework over 25 metres to the main soil manhole I wondered if it would be possible to joint the ABS to the plastic in some way. ie a branch fitting on the large pipe allowing the smaller pipe to be joined at 45 degrees.

I'm a little concerned that the force with which to the pump empties the pool might cause problems for the low pressure soil pipe where it blasts into the joint. It will be losing some pressure as it goes from 50mm to 110mm but it will be striking the pipe with some force. Also does anyone think it will cause any problems with suction on the water trap in the next door toilet?

One final question !!! :LOL:

Should I install a water trap in the ABS pipe to prevent any smells finding their way up into the swimming pool pipework?

Many Thanks !!!!

Sponsored Links
Welski said:
Is it possible to vent a swimming pool filter waste outlet 1.5 inch ABS pipe into a standard plastic 110mm soil pipe?

Many Thanks !!!!

They always say you shouldn't flush the loo on a aircraft while its at 30,000 ft - it would suck your insides out? I doubt your swimming pool discharge would have the same effect, but would you want to be sat on the throne and get a jet of water up your jackzi?

Put the extra pipe in and save yourself the worry ;)

:D Htgeng we might have stumbled upon a new piece of bathroom furniture....

The Jackzi-Jacuzzi:cool:

The water would be at 84F chlorinated and travelling about 4 m/s so not only would it be an 'interesting' sensation you would be spotlessly clean :LOL:

Seriously guys (gals) do you really think it would cause a problem? ....I've got 3 walls and a concrete floor to go through so I'd really like to find a way of inserting the 50mm waste pipe securely into the 110mm soil pipe at a 45 degree angle!

The toilet would be approx 3 metres 'up stream' of the point where the swimming pool pipe enters.

If you're worried about water forcing its way back out of a toilet then you should also be worried about it bursting out of the first inspection chamber. If you're right about the speed in the 40mm pipe then your flow rate is about 5 litres per second. Try emptying a 50 litre bucket straight into the chamber and see if it clears in under ten seconds. If it doesn't then you'll have to throttle back the flow.

Now here's something else to think about. I don't know much about water regulations (I'm more at home with ionizing radiation regulations) but I do know that sewage treatment relies on colonies of bacteria which digest our effluent. I'm not sure that the water authorities would like to have an entire swimming pool full of chlorinated water arriving in their tank. Play safe and find out.

Sponsored Links
Felix, Thanks for the input.

At the moment I've got it venting into a soakaway (very temp solution and I think against the regs) and it does come out with a fair force even into a fairly large diameter pipe. unfortunatly there is no way of slowing down the waste outlet; via the pump controls anyway.

When I say pool waste water it is only a tiny percentage of the overall pool volume used for backwashing the filters. In fact the pool will only ever be emptied to change the liner every 10-12 years. I assume the pros that carry the work out have a way of doing this(?)

I have been told by the pool guy that the waste water HAS to be vented into the foul water system but I do take your point I assume that it is diluted sufficiently to allow the bacteria to do their job.

The first inspection chamber is a good 15 metres away so hopefully the resistance should slow the flow rate down and the pipe has sufficient diameter not to become pressurised.

Am I talking rubbish here guys?

might or might not be pertinent but i have run pub sump pumps into 110mm soil with no probs and it was running reg all the drains went into a sump and was then pumped out

if you need to restrict the outgoing flow put a bypass between the inlet and outlet

Good point Kev you've got me thinking...

When we were building the pool we hit ground water very early on. The excavation was under about 3 foot of water. We had no problems pumping that continuously down the drain which fed into the same old clay foul water pipe that I'm proposing to use for this project.

I think based on that we should be ok in terms of volume of water, do you think I would need to install a water trap in the abs pipe even if it is sealed off by a ball valve when not being used?

I don't think a small amount of chlorinated water will cause trouble at the sewage works. Lot's of people are putting dollops of bleach down their drains even as I write this.

I can see now why you're worried about water gushing out of the toilet rather than the inspection chamber but that test with the 50 litre bucket is still valid. If the chamber outlet can't clear 5 litres per second then neither can the pipe from the toilet!

Water most go into a 110mm gully and not directly into the soil

Thanks for all the input guys; MUCH APPRECIATED.

I will go for it I think.

Anyone got a view on the question about the water trap?

Will a closed ball valve be sufficient to supress foul air? (and be within the regs?)

The soil pipe runs parallel with the pool waste pipe and about 500mm directly below it. My proposal is to cut through the abs waste and add a 45 degree bend in a vertical plane; insert a sufficient length of abs waste pipe into this bend so that the pipe angles down and touches the top of the soil pipe; then cut into the top of the soil pipe and 'somehow' affix another 45 degree angle to it and insert the end of the abs; thus creating a path for the waste pool water to enter the top of the soil pipe at an angle, to minimise some of the impact.

I cant visualize how i could add a water trap into this small section of pipe given the angle etc. (assuming I have to!) Any thoughts?

kevplumb said:
use a hepv0 trap

(thats got you thinking ) ;)

My head will explode if I do any more over this project!

That looks to be exactly what I need Kev! (isnt Google great ;) )

Do you think it can stand up to the pressure (the pool guys say not to use standard waste pipe work in the system) and is there such a thing as a 1.5 inch to 32mm or 40mm adaptors?

kevplumb said:
run it in 2"" solvent weld
you can adapt virtually anything these days ;)

Superb... :D I'm beginning to see some light at the end of this soil pipe! :D

Last question ! Will I have to inform Building regs man before I splice into the soil pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back