Decent Gloss Paint for Steel - Woolworth's Poppy Red

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have and old digger that I am restoring and want to repaint and am wondering what paint to use for the final coat.

Largely there isn't much rust over the bulk of the area, the paints just very dull and marked where the decals have failed. There are some patches of rust breaking out, so my plan in to de-rust the areas there are with a angle grinder and or needle scaler, prime them with a suitable primer, and then repaint the lot with something that will hopefully hold its colour fairly well.

The colour is quite important and originally it was I think Woolworth's 'poppy red' from back in the day, I really have anything to match it to, but I would like to get as close as I reasonably can.

Not overly fussed on price, but if I can pick it up locally before the weekend that would be mild a bonus

Cheers, Daniel

Sponsored Links
Take the tin along to a Dulux Trade Center or a BnQ superstore they have a "matchmaker" computer, they should be able to make up a near match.

Take the tin along to a Dulux Trade Center or a BnQ superstore they have a "matchmaker" computer, they should be able to make up a near match.
As I say, dont really have anything to match it to, have I never had a tin of said paint, just know that is what was used. And the paint on the machine is discolored enough as to be not worth matching to.

Sponsored Links
Take the tin along to a Dulux Trade Center or a BnQ superstore.
This link gives the reference number for "Poppy Red" (04 E 53) any good decorators merchants should be able to match it .
I guess thats not a bad plan.

And is it all right paint? I have used Dulux Weathershield (trade and punter spec) white gloss on all our wooden window frames, but heard mixed reviews about the colours covering badly and streaking.

Although being red I expect the worse outcome is is going pink and chalky!

Daniel

I've used Dulux Zinc Phosphate primer as a metal preservative paint on exterior steelwork. Seems pretty good, is a sort of beige. In a coastal environment like mine, it needs a protective gloss topcoat quite soon, it does not seem fully damp-proof on its own.

I've used Dulux Zinc Phosphate primer as a metal preservative paint on exterior steelwork. Seems pretty good, is a sort of beige. In a coastal environment like mine, it needs a protective gloss topcoat quite soon, it does not seem fully damp-proof on its own.
Sounds good to me. Most primers are not weatherproof as far as I know, fortunately (?) most of my projects are on a timeline that means it will never be an issue!
- We're also an hour from the coast, and the other of the pennies....

Daniel

I`m intrigued as to what make of digger ;)
The Digger in question is a Smalley 5 MkII made in Lincolnshire in 1971.

The paint has in the main worked well, the dulux Zinc Phosphate was a bit of a pig to keep a wet edge on, hard to wash out of brushes, and all but impossible to sand. The topcoat is also fairly soft, but covered over the tan colour primer very well indeed, is high gloss, went on fairly thick, very happy. Surface was cleaned with a needle scaler and angle grider with wire brush and sanding disk before having a coat of Vactan to stabilise the rust.

Some photos and info at http://www.absolutelyoutrageous.co.uk

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back