decent turf and typical cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi- we are looking to completely renovate our garden which is currently a pond/paving area/partitions etc.

what is a typical price for decent turf? online i saw about £6.99 for rolawn turf. i havent gone down to local garden centre (wanted to go to an indepent one rather than homebase and the nearest one was closed yday!). just so i can get an idea how much should i expect to pay for decent turF? i know seeds aer an option but at the moment not too keen on it due to issue with birds, time and not guaranteed results!

secondly what should i look for when looking at various varieties of turf! how do i identify good ones from not so good ones!

ta

Sponsored Links
My neighbour applied some turf, he got weeds fairly soon. I reseeded my lawn, cost maybe £100 for seed, £60 for rotavator and £400 for sharp sand. Laying turf on compacted soil is not a good idea.

My neighbour applied some turf, he got weeds fairly soon. I reseeded my lawn, cost maybe £100 for seed, £60 for rotavator and £400 for sharp sand. Laying turf on compacted soil is not a good idea.

Thanks. How long did it take for the seeding to become usable lawn!

I had my lawn totally re-turfed, this work involved bringing in approx 15 ton of topsoil, soil improver (I assume some sort of fertiliser sprinkled on the surface prior to the turf) I did see it but dont know what it was for..., and then thr turf ontop, this was for approx 100m2 (10x10 garden).

I also had the same company lay a load of capping stones on some walls I had put up, all in all the total works cost just over £1,500, and took over 3 days for all works.

taking out the assumed cost of about 1 third for the wall work, I guess I paid just over £1000 for the lawn. not really sure if this is good value or not. but the lawn is looking great and has settled in nicely.

It was laid end of September last year.

Sponsored Links

Thanks. How long did it take for the seeding to become usable lawn!

I sowed in autumn, and by the next spring it was good. There were lots of bare patches by the end of the first autumn, but they soon went. Turf will be quicker, even allowing time for it to bed in and become usable.

Rolawn comes down a lot in price when you buy a decent number of rolls. It is worth buying a good turf like that, rather than the £2.50 stuff from the garden centre. The difference in weed content alone is massive. I've done both.

I contributed to a lawn reno thread at some point, it'll be in my history if you want to have a search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back