Deck lighting - any thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all.

I've nearly finished building a medium-sized split level deck, and am thinking about what lighting to install.

Almost all the deck lights on the market seem to be walk-over lights sunk into the deck, pointing upwards. Apart from looking smart and giving your deck a vaguely spaceship-ish look on a misty evening, do people generally find that these lights are much good for actual useful lighting?! It strikes me that lights which send all their light up to the heavens, instead of towards the deck or the area you're using, don't sound hugely functional. :confused:

Has anyone got any (good or bad) experiences of these, or any other good methods for deck lighting (e.g. brick lights in the wall behind the deck, downlights attached to newel posts, etc.)?

Grateful for any thoughts and ideas!

Sponsored Links
What about using the flush deck lights to mark the split so you don't fall over/off it in the dark. We have used them for the split level and the edges as anthonyUK says, and have other lighting too to see what you are doing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the pointers on this!

Good point on the safety of highlighting edges where the levels split. I'll put some of these facing upwards on the outside edges of both deck levels, and also a few facing outwards from the front face of the step, to highlight the edge where the step down happens.

I'll probably stick at that for now, and see what it's like using the deck as evenings get darker later in the year.

There are a couple of wall lights on my garden office at the back edge of the deck, which might be enough, but I think time will tell on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back