Deck No2 - not started yet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm about to start the next phase of Garden Makeover. Another deck - this time across the old patio at back door and patio doors.

I am attempting to upload pics of the area so that my subsequent questions may be easier to understand.

My first question is how do I fix a ledger boards correctly with the two different door recesses?

I'm not sure if the pics have shown in my post.

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Nope - no pics.

Any clues on getting them to display> I have created a new album.

Thanks
Jim

When you add a new post you can click 'show my images' and then click the picture you want to add from your album.

Good luck with the deck - im building one soon too!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for help with pics - i did read the instructions but obviously did not fully understand them.

Pic 1 shows the wall for fixing the board to. I think I might have to cut an inch or two from the bottom of the rendered finish.

any help appreciated. If I use a 150x50 joist I wont get a run-off along the length without lifting the slabs. My local supplier has just confirmed he can get me 125x50. Should be OK all over I hope.

Thanks
jim

for that height, I wouldn't bother with a ledger board, just build a free floating deck out of 2x4's on the slabs.. plenty of support since it's sitting all on the slabs

don't forget that the deck boards are 20-25mm thick so that's 5 inches of height with a 2x4 frame..

what's the height to the underside of the door cills?

run the board along the entire length of the wall and fix it to teh grey brickwork first. then use blocking pieces behind the other area to pad it out and fix through those. that will give you a firm straight fixing that you can attach your joists to. use rawl bolts or thunder bolts. if you can attach the frame to something solid like a wall then do it as it saves additional supports of a freestanding deck

(coljack either do some homework on my old posts or stick to electrickery! :LOL: )

Thanks for your replies.

Thermo, I was hoping you'd confirm what I was thinking off doing, and you have. Thanks.

In your other posts you suggest 10mm spacing from the wall. Should I fit these behind the timber spacers also? And what's your opinion on 5x2 joists (so I can keep the slabs in place) I want a slight slope away from the screen wall for run off. Can only do it if using 5x2. Is 25mm in 4-8m enough (about 1:200)?

Thanks
Jim

you wont need spacers on the blocks. yes the fall is fine, its not a massive issue with decking anyway. 5 x 2 is ok, youll just need a few more supports

Ordered my decking.

To save cutting the render I'm using 100x38 timber all along behind the ledger so it clears the render. I'm using M16 nuts as spacers, and fixing with 10x150 thunderbolts.
Question is - do I use spacers behind 100x38 or between 100x38 and 125x47 ledger? And also, any comments on BZP nuts as spacers?

Thanks
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back