1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Decking advice

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Carl1370, 30 Jun 2021.

1. Carl1370

Carl1370

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all I've had a quote for installing a wooden decking area and the guy suggested supporting 2 sides of the deck by screwing into existing concrete fence posts (6feet apart), thus avoiding digging holes for new decking support posts.
    Would this be a good idea ? Or should the fence stay independent from the deck ?

2. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not a good idea,

Water will ingress into the fence post and split, the iron rebar inside will rust and split and it will be game over.

Also the posts in concrete terms are quite thin and you run the risk of blowing out when drilling it.

It's a big no no really.

There is alternative methods for setting decking without having to dig, one option is ground screws https://www.google.com/search?q=dgr...bile&ie=UTF-8#scso=_pb3cYLGgMYKChbIPtcyicA8:0

There is also plastic feet that sit atop the ground but not sure how well these work

3. Sponsored Links
  4. speccy

speccy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Im really liking these ground screws looking at using them for my summer lodge project as long as they are good for clay!

5. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From what I have read they are yes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links