Decking in back garden-advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,
need some advise please. i got quote today for decking 33sqm area. wood decking using 28mm deck boards.

Quote came in at £3,975.00 which includes below:
• Take out old decking and remove from the premises
• Cut down x2 small plants and bushes to the rear to “Stump level” and remove from the premises
• Lay new deck in timber and cut in around remaining stumps
• New deck to be supported on new 3” posts concreted into the floor
• Make a new 2m step for the deck to protrude into the garden
• Fix new fence for privacy panel made from deck boards to match new deck to left and back sides of the new deck.

my questions are:
1.is this a fair price for this job? i have no idea on decking cost so will be good to have other opinions on the cost.
2. is it ok to use 28mm decking boards or will this not last? builder tells me he can use 38mm but that will add appx £1000.00 to cost.
3. is it best to have decking posts in concrete or can it also be done safely on 'deck footing' which am told is basically concrete slab on the ground with decking resting on?
am in essex by the way. not sure if that matters :unsure:

many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd say that's a decent price, just completed a similar job ourselves which included a bit more landscaping and 7 fence panels with gravel boards and concrete posts. Set of steps with all round balustrades too. Was just over 5k for 2 blokes plus materials.

FYI: prices of tanalised materials is sky high currently as there are huge shortages worldwide.

Posts set in concrete are fine.

I’ve just come back from B&Q. As I entered the store, a rather rude member of staff came up to me and asked me if I wanted decking. Luckily, I got the first punch in - she wasn’t expecting that.........

Badumtish! The old ones are...the old ones!

I would try to get the stumps and plants completely removed for that price, unless you are happy for the decking to be cut in.

We were recently quoted a little over £1500 for 8 sq m metres of slabs on a hardcore and sand base, so it's all relative.

Blup

Sponsored Links
many thanks to you all for the replies. much appreciated. sounds like its isnt a bad price then. i will ask if he can remove the stumps. not a bad idea to prevent any future issues with the plants.
on the 28mm boards, should i be worried. Builder mentioned 38mm boards but said that will add nearly a grand to cost so got me thinking if the 28mm wont last?
many thanks chaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back