decking beam span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, out here in the sticks like many houses I've got an off-mains sewage thingy, a digester, an old one. Can just see the top of it, it looks like a World War 1 concrete machine gun post but sunk in the ground and full of you-know-what. Even with new builds around here they seem to put up a deck above the sewage digester / cesspit / processor or whatever.
Dunno if this is just to hide it or cos it can't carry weight on top of it.
Anyhow, ours had a wooden deck over it which has just rotted away. I'm clearing that and want to more or less do what they call in the movies a shot-for-shot remake - just build a replacement.
I don't want to mess about breaking out the original post footings cos they are near the sch-you-know-what container corners. So I'd like to just put new posts in a bit further away from its corners.
Question is, looking at the post-and-beam idea for the deck underpinnings, how long can the beams be? I think I need 3.5 or 4 metres to clear the digester - I don't want anything to rest on it - the previous builders didn't!
Working in post-and-beam, can I have a 4 metre run only supported at the ends and if so in what timber, e.g. 2 X 10 inch or what?
Thanks in advance.
Terry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back