Decking Design Over Engineered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I have only built a small 3x4m decking in the past. I plan on building a large L shaped deck. Please can you review the design if it is over/under engineered.

Advice and comments good or bad will be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Don

Sponsored Links
Hi, i'm only a DIYer, but have built my own suspended deck.

Is your deck suspended from posts, or laying on the ground?

Either way i think most, if not all of the noggins between the joists are unnecessary. As long as the joists are the right sized timbers (you can google this), thenthey'll be fine e.g. like most bedroom floors in most modern houses.

Good luck.

You only need one centre noggin for those spans

And do you need them at such close spacings? It will depend on how you are supporting them, but you may like to consider deeper timbers at wider spans too

Sponsored Links
Why is the weird infill piece in there beside the 3100mm dimension? Just span those across the full 2500mm width.

Also doing it that way you are going to have to change the deck board orientation on the small Leg of the L but perhaps you want that from a aesthetic point of view.

Also as woody says you could space out the joists to 450 or 500 centres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back