Decking help - frame plan check & advice on posts / heig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, attempting my first decking build, posted a topic a while back but didnt get anywhere with it, had a few more ideas & changed the plan a bit, hoping someone can give me some advice.

This is how the garden stood as of a few days ago...

e84d0c71.jpg

and how it stands tonight...

e7b77aa0.jpg

Once i have finished breaking the pond up and back filled it with soil i am dismantling the old shed, renewing the fence posts & panels, then attempting my deck build.

I am going to put the deck running along the rear fence, butted up against the left hand fence, possibly using the fence posts to support the deck as they seem to be in the right place for what i need? then once the decking is done the new shed is going up where the old one was.

One of the problems i have is that although i am replacing the fence with a 6ft high one, and adding a 150mm gravel board to the bottom, the deck where i want it will be so high that i'll be looking over the other gardens when i stand up!

Let me explain, i got some b&q deck tiles (600x600mm) second hand but unused for a very good price. I have bought 6x2" for the base frame, but then the b&q frame that sits on means when its all bolted together the decking is 10" high. I was going to add one paving slab to the existing ones to allow for drainage & add some 100x100mm posts elsewhere for support. I would also be able to use the existing pond wall to support the frame.

So, how can i lower my deck? i have a few quick pics to try and show what i mean...

0e823090.jpg

34464c74.jpg

The brick on top of the 6x2 represents the height of the b&q frame with the tile on top.

The pond is 50cm lower than ground level, i was wondering if i could dig trenches along where the joists are going to go, then use the 4x4" posts sunk in with postcrete then gravel along the trench? or would this be no good?

I also did a quick plan for my base frame deck, the b&q deck will be fixed to this once i'm happy with it. Do i have enough posts/supports? Noggins etc? I have alrerady got the timber i need for this, but it wont be a problem gettin more.

deckingplan-1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, i told the wife i'd take this week off & try to get it done, but i think i've bitten off more than i can chew so any help to get my head round this would be appreciated.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Todays progress, nearly got the ground levelled, less than 20% to go.

3dadc7a4.jpg

going with this plan, unless anyone has any comments about it?

deckingplanv2.jpg

Quite alot of waste :/

94b9ca0b.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back