Decking installed over concrete - falling apart. How to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - noob here, so apologies in advance for anything dumb I say.

6 years ago we had a lovely extension of our kitchen built out into the garden, and using some dead space down the side of the house. It is a gorgeous design and even got short-listed for an award for our architect.

However, the builder we chose to do the job left a little to be desired, and never took well to feedback/criticism, even when it was clear that he had made mistakes. I also learned a lot through the process, mainly via my own mistakes of not keeping on top of the whole project a bit closer.

One area was some steps that were built on the back of the kitchen down to the garden - the top step was extended so that we could have a space of around 2m x 4m to sit out and enjoy the sunshine. The builder offered to get some top-quality decking to go on top of the steps, and I trusted him.

Unfortunately we have had constant problems with the decking, including:

* splinters (so many that we can't allow kids out on the deck without shoes on)
* screw heads shearing off after rusting (seems like he didn't bother to use outdoor screws)
* deck boards starting to bounce/warp where not held down/supported properly (just 3 supports!)
* deck boards that were just glued to the top of the brick steps coming off

Today I finally decided to take up a few of the boards after having tried to repeatedly secure them down with new screws, but to no avail.

Underneath I found that the builder had lain a concrete slab and into the concrete and set 3 wooden battens, at least one of which had completely deteriorated. There was also some white material, which may have been mould or some other substance - I couldn't tell.

220000_219145_78496_67978167_thumb.jpg

220000_219145_78497_94727394_thumb.jpg

220000_219145_78498_60883160_thumb.jpg

220000_219145_78499_62969196_thumb.jpg

220000_219145_78502_90429960_thumb.jpg

//www.diynot.com/network/SpiderJ/albums/21020

So - I need to fix this.

At present my thoughts are:

1. I replace the rotten battens and get new decking boards to go on top - but even with fresh wood, those 3 supports don't seem to be sufficient?

or

2. I just install some sort of decking tile: http://www.thedecktileco.co.uk/TheDeckTileCo.php

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this? Will putting wooden battens back into concrete just end up with the same problem down the line? Are decking tiles an expensive alternative?

thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
Hmmm - apologies if I have managed to breach some etiquette here, but is anyone able to help me?

thanks

S

its very hard to give any kind of advice without some pictures of the wider area. Close ups are helpful for the detail but it's very hard to get any kind of feel for what you've got and to offer any suggestions.

As far as the battens go incasing them in concrete is not a great idea, they would be better on the surface where air can circulate around them.

Thanks - I will take some wider area photos tomorrow.

Given that it won't be possible to put battens on to of the concrete (since there is a whole door system that opens over the decking with a clearance of a couple of cm) I'm guessing that decking tiles may be the best solution.

Or is there another material that could be easily laid on top of the concrete? I'm not particularly fussed whether it is decking or not - just as long as it's safe and pleasant to walk on.

Sponsored Links
even the thinnest paving will be 20mm plus a 20mm mortar bed so without breaking up the concrete decking tiles may work best.

Thanks

Would putting ceramic/porcelain tiles down be a sensible option?

it would be an option but only if you have a very stable and level concrete base. If there are any cracks or signs of movement these will reflex crack the tiles in the same place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back