Decking oil's advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm nearly at the stage of laying my deck boards onto my framework.

I intend to use decking oil add a slight colour to the wood (something like natural oak or similar)

First question is, do i have to treat the framework and joists or will the tanalised treatment look after all the bits i cant see for 10 years?

Also do i have to wait untill the green colour has weathered off before applying the oil/colour or will the green dissappear when i oil it anyway?

And lastly, i've treated all the sawn end's with ronseal end preserver, but the colour is slightly darker to the treatment already on there from the timber yard. Will this fade in time like the original stuff or am i going to end up with patchy colouration from the decking oil?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Sponsored Links
no you dont need to treat the frame etc if its pressure treated. the green will fade off in the sunlight after 2 -3 weeks at the most. better to oil it after that.

the end grain will fade off in time, best to use an offcut to test on

Sponsored Links
ideal thanks for the info, any reccommendation on which brand oil to use?

most common seems to be ronseal or cuprinol, but have seen other makes?

Cheers, Sam

Heres a few piccies of what i've been working on over the last 3 days by the way:

decking.jpg

deckclose.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back