Decking Protector removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would appreciate some advice on how to remove Ronseal Protector from my decking. I have used it each for around 4 years.

I have power washed the decking but now I'm left on how to get the Protector out of the grooves in the decking. I'm using 60 grit sandpaper but unfortunately it isn't removing all of it. It would be great if there was a tool you could slide between the grooves. A wire bush is of no use.

One this process is finished, I intend to stain it.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply and the link. I have a small wire brush which fits in to the grooves perfectly but it doesn't lift the previous protector. I'm using a small metal file which takes some of it off but I'm still left with a residue.

Has anyone tried any decking stripper and which was successful in removing all the previous coatings. On the flat surface I have used a sander and have removed 99% of everything.

I would also like advice on whether to use Decking Oil or Stain.

Sponsored Links
why do you need to remove it?

a jetwasher will blast the coating off very quickly, but it leaves the surface a bit rough and raises the grain. I supose that will not matter inside the grooves. it will be quicker if you have a narrow jet nozzle that you can run in them.

Hi thanks to all who responded. I want to remove all the original protector, as I'm worried that the new coating either Stain or Pil will peel. I had though of reversing the boards bit I would need to renew 5 of them due to cuts to fits posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back