Decking quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We just had an extension built and want decking coming off it.

Currently outside the new patio doors is some rather uneven paving slabs from the old patio.

The size is 10m length by 2.8 width, with a height of 30cm. There will also be a step down from the patio.

I have been quoted 6k(excluding VAT) by a building firm, for a soft wood deck. I was told they would use a brick built base.

That sounds excessive to me, with my limited knowledge. We live in London, so I expect it to be higher.

Also do they need to go to all the trouble of building a brick wall for decking?

Sponsored Links
They don't need to build a brick wall, it's a lot of work to get it done right.

Using short posts in postcrete where there isn't slabs and can rest straight on top of the old patio if the slabs aren't loose.

That being said, the price quoted to do what they have suggested I don't think is unreasonable If they intend on doing it properly, without cutting corners

They don't need to build a brick wall, it's a lot of work to get it done right.

Using short posts in postcrete where there isn't slabs and can rest straight on top of the old patio if the slabs aren't loose.

That being said, the price quoted to do what they have suggested I don't think is unreasonable If they intend on doing it properly, without cutting corners

Ok thanks, yes they have done work for me before and I suddenly was concerned they were taking advantage as another quote was half of this. I was beginning to question all the other work completed, so it's good know this isn't excessive.

Although I would prefer it was cheaper, if they don't have to build a wall then I hope it would be.

I'm doing a decking at home (will start the weekend) which will include a pergoda lean to on the house.

The height of the decking is only going to be around 150mm and I'm going straight over an old uneven patio. My area is around 6.5 x 3 meters.

Materials alone was £1k.

There's probably around 3 days labour if done by a pro, and will need 2 guys, so I presume this would likely cost me around 4k if I were to pay for it to be done.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing a decking at home (will start the weekend) which will include a pergoda lean to on the house.

The height of the decking is only going to be around 150mm and I'm going straight over an old uneven patio. My area is around 6.5 x 3 meters.

Materials alone was £1k.

There's probably around 3 days labour if done by a pro, and will need 2 guys, so I presume this would likely cost me around 4k if I were to pay for it to be done.

Thanks, that's helpful to know.

I have had other quotes now from firms considered top end which are cheaper by nearly 2k.

The original most expensive quote said it would take 3 - 4 weeks to build.

I'm wondering what the big difference is, as in what they intend to do others would do in days.

Is there anything specific I should ask to understand?

I have had other quotes now from firms considered top end which are cheaper by nearly 2k.

The original most expensive quote said it would take 3 - 4 weeks to build.

I'm wondering what the big difference is, as in what they intend to do others would do in days.

Is there anything specific I should ask to understand?

Probably builders that don't turn up till 10 then only work till 3,

Other than price what's different between the 3 quotes?

I would say seeing as 2 have come in around the same price that's the average price for your area

Probably builders that don't turn up till 10 then only work till 3,

Other than price what's different between the 3 quotes?

I would say seeing as 2 have come in around the same price that's the average price for your area

Thanks.

One was 3.5 including vat

6.5k excluding VAT

And 5k including VAT

The 6.5k is the 4 weeks of work. The others in days.

It's over paving stones, which are not great in places, and 300mm in height, so nothing out of the ordinary.

A building quote so many bad ones out there give the good ones a bad name. So many times ive had this where quotes have been so wild in pricing and detail. For me if they can't be honest and break down the job i fck them off straight away.
Honest day rate or approximate cost of labour, materials and estimated time taken.

From there you can get a better idea of their day rates plus company expenses on top. If they get ****ty asking for that they're not worth it. I contracted and consulted for many in the past ive always ensured this is a clearly defined up front.

A building quote so many bad ones out there give the good ones a bad name. So many times ive had this where quotes have been so wild in pricing and detail. For me if they can't be honest and break down the job i fck them off straight away.
Honest day rate or approximate cost of labour, materials and estimated time taken.

From there you can get a better idea of their day rates plus company expenses on top. If they get ****ty asking for that they're not worth it. I contracted and consulted for many in the past ive always ensured this is a clearly defined up front.

I hope that isn;t the case as they seem so honest and built my double extension. But I was starting to get a little questioning if I'm honest as some of the quotes seemed a little out there. I'm a little worried now that I have been paying inflated prices for everything. I don't know if I even want to know as I would be so gutted and distrustful.

I hope that isn;t the case as they seem so honest and built my double extension. But I was starting to get a little questioning if I'm honest as some of the quotes seemed a little out there. I'm a little worried now that I have been paying inflated prices for everything. I don't know if I even want to know as I would be so gutted and distrustful.

Not saying bits always the case, but sometimes If they cotton on to you being a garunteed job as you've given them extra work, the price does increase as they know you will pay it.

Sometimes it's worth paying the extra for the comfort that you know they will do a nice job.

However your job should definitely be in the days rather than weeks. But maybe they are working it around other jobs.

Not saying bits always the case, but sometimes If they cotton on to you being a garunteed job as you've given them extra work, the price does increase as they know you will pay it.

Sometimes it's worth paying the extra for the comfort that you know they will do a nice job.

However your job should definitely be in the days rather than weeks. But maybe they are working it around other jobs.

I think you are right, once through through door everything seemed like a hike in price, apart from what we planned originally.

I am new to all of this so big lessons on my part in terms of setting an exact scope of work from the start and associated costs.

I never had that. So lots of extra costs crept in that I was not expecting or made aware of.

But they have done an excellent job, no doubt about that.

We had this very recently with a trader
This is the issue, plus have i have few friends who are builders, in the past when unsure ive ran things past them, 'what a xxxx' is normal response when it's off the mark, happened quite a bit, as i said above that was advice i was given, 'if they get stroppy when you ask for some transparency walk away'

We had this very recently with a trader

This is the issue, plus have i have few friends who are builders, in the past when unsure ive ran things past them, 'what a xxxx' is normal response when it's off the mark, happened quite a bit, as i said above that was advice i was given, 'if they get stroppy when you ask for some transparency walk away'

Thanks, I think I will talk to them about it in a nice way. That it seems a little expensive and to break it down for me. It's annoying as they are really good, but it should be fair. It feels somewhat plucked from the air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back