Decking set back from wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am getting some decking put over concrete in the garden. Reading through your posts a general thread is that there should be a small space of between 5 an 10 mm between the decking and the walls of the house and set below the dpc.
I do not have any dpc as the house is over 100 yrs old, and the decking boards are being run up agains the house wall. The frame of the decking is being fixed to two walls of the house
Can anyone tell me if this seems OK? As the walls are made of sandstone they are not smooth with lots of hollows and dips, so i guess the water can run down the side of the boards, but will the water not then sit on parts of the frame which is fixed to the wall?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sandstone does tend to rot with too much water penteration, so to be safe ensure that there is a slight fall on the deck away from the house. If you use grooved deck boards make sure the groove runs away from the house rather than across it. As a general rule on a house of your age without a dpc the deck really should not have been attcked but instread freestanding.. However as log as it falls away so the water can run it will be fine..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back