Decking treatment (oil/stain ?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just getting towards end of a decking project.

Split level aprox 30 m2 deck area plus steps fascia etc., plus a 4 post supporting a 4m x 4m pitched roof.
Adding another 10 m2 of wood surface area

This is all with treated wood .... anybody any recommendation on what finish to apply to the deck, would then do pots and roof wood work in same finish.

I'm assuming it's probably best to apply treatment before first use rather than when it starts to fade off treated colour.

Sponsored Links
If you don't want it to "fade off treated colour" then a stain would seem to be the worst product you could use. I plan to use a clear Oil on my new decking when I get round to it, but this stuff doesn't really fade very fast as far as I can see, my fence was replaced this time last year and it's still the same colour as when it first went up.

OK update to my Q.
Will use decking oil, not stain.

What is the best oil?

I usually use Sikkens products, but see wildly different comments (binary opinions) on Cuprinol and Ronseal.

Sponsored Links
What is the best oil?

I usually use Sikkens products, but see wildly different comments (binary opinions) on Cuprinol and Ronseal.

I've been using cuprinol for the last few years and have not had a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back