Decking treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am seeking advice with regards to the painting of decking. I installed a large area of decking in my garden a few years ago and have never found a satisfactory solution to the colouring of it. When we first laid it I use a stain to colour it. However through the following winter this all but flaked off and looked very shabby. The next year we used decking oil but this faded very badly and again wasn't to my satisfaction. Therefore is there anyone out there who would know what type of coating I should use. Also should I treat with a decking cleaner or another form of treatment first.

I look forward to any helpful tips.

Sponsored Links
Johnstone's are doing a new Decking stain which is available in four colours: Rich Teak; Spanish Cedar; Natural Oak and Chestnut Brown or you could use a matt woodstain which is just as good.

Hi, I am seeking advice with regards to the painting of decking. I installed a large area of decking in my garden a few years ago and have never found a satisfactory solution to the colouring of it. When we first laid it I use a stain to colour it. However through the following winter this all but flaked off and looked very shabby. The next year we used decking oil but this faded very badly and again wasn't to my satisfaction. Therefore is there anyone out there who would know what type of coating I should use. Also should I treat with a decking cleaner or another form of treatment first.

Use a tinted decking oil such as Ronseal or similar. It should have a good couple of coats and depending on how much sun etc it gets will depend on how long any coating lasts.
Oil is better than stain or "paint" which will always eventually crack and flake. Oil penetrates the wood so even when the outer appearance fades it shouldn't crack etc and look awful.
You may need to remove the original treatment though otherwise the oil will not act as it should

Sponsored Links

Use a tinted decking oil such as Ronseal or similar. It should have a good couple of coats and depending on how much sun etc it gets will depend on how long any coating lasts.
Oil is better than stain or "paint" which will always eventually crack and flake. Oil penetrates the wood so even when the outer appearance fades it shouldn't crack etc and look awful.
You may need to remove the original treatment though otherwise the oil will not act as it should

the OP says he's already used decking oil & wasn't happy with it

Use what you like but DONT! use Ronseal water based decking stain.

Its complete and utter kwap...I did my decking last year..power washed it, scrubbed it...allowed to dry for a week...gave it three coats of the 'stain' (it would have been four but it doesnt go anywhere near the distance it says on the tin :evil: )

Within a week it was lifting...the slightest scuff of a traiing shoe brought it off.

After a month it looked like it had been down ten years.

I rang Ronseal and they were very good about it...they said it was down to the British climate...which begs the question..'so why make it then???'

Got 4 tins replacement and 6 5 litre containers of decking cleaner (detergent!!!)

The four tins are still in my garage waiting for a boot sale

DONT TOUCH IT!

Use what you like but DONT! use Ronseal water based decking stain.

Its complete and utter kwap...I did my decking last year..power washed it, scrubbed it...allowed to dry for a week...gave it three coats of the 'stain' (it would have been four but it doesnt go anywhere near the distance it says on the tin :evil: )

Within a week it was lifting...the slightest scuff of a traiing shoe brought it off.

After a month it looked like it had been down ten years.

I rang Ronseal and they were very good about it...they said it was down to the British climate...which begs the question..'so why make it then???'

Got 4 tins replacement and 6 5 litre containers of decking cleaner (detergent!!!)

The four tins are still in my garage waiting for a boot sale

DONT TOUCH IT!
im just baffled as why you are having so much trouble with ronseal decking stain as all my mates have used it including my self and no one has had any trouble with it and some of them have had it done for a few years and myself for over a year and the bloke in our local hard ware store said it was the best seller for decking ,have you ever thought maybe it is something to do with your decking boards they could have been wet when you stained them or something else wrong with them :eek:

Beats me..

As I said last year the boards were power washed, scrubbed, allowed to dry completely then stained

The People at Ronseal tried the how did you prepare it/what did you use to apply it/did you thin it route at first...til i told them I was a pro dekkie with 30 years experience..then they more or less admitted the product wasnt really up to the climate

In all fairness to them they were really good about it..but I havnt touched the product since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back