Declogging Kitchen Sink Pipes.....take apart or use cleaner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a problem with a blockage in my outside pipes, which I'll address in another post. But because of this I've also discovered that the pipes beneath the kitchen sink seem virtually FULL of thick dark matter - not dissimilar to thick mud!

I've not been having a problem with the kitchen sink. In fact, water seems to drain away well. But I don't like the idea of my pipes being full of this yuck....

So I wondered what's best.... To take all the pipes apart and clean them up individually, then put them all back together? Or to use something. I would prefer to use something like bicarb soda and vinegar if possible. But I do have some caustic soda and some sulphuric acid. Only want to use them if totally necessary.

More than happy to take a photo of the pipes if that would help?

Any advice very gratefully received.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Caustic soda , creates heat which removes any grease which is what usually collects all the crud. You can also get biological drain cleaners which eat the crud, supposedly.

If you can remove them and clean them easily fair enough,
the only real product that will shift it is ONESHOT but be aware its corrosive and you should be very very careful in using it, its sulphuric acid !

Sponsored Links
If you can remove them and clean them easily fair enough,
the only real product that will shift it is ONESHOT but be aware its corrosive and you should be very very careful in using it, its sulphuric acid !

Yep that Oneshot has been abused in the past (see the news). Oneshot is more for things like paper, human fat, hair etc as it just dissolves it due it's acidic nature (91% sulphuric acid). Caustic soda is more effective on greasy deposits as its alkaline.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back