Blocked sink - snake hasn't worked - what next please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm a new poster, so if I've done anything incorrect, please forgive me.

My kitchen sink has blocked. I used a plunger, bicarb of soda with vinegar, boiling hot water - nothing shifted. Today I used a drain snake three times to try and shift the blockage - again nothing has happened.

Reluctantly I used Instant Power Hair & Grease Drain Opener down the sink. It hasn't worked so far, although I've now poured the rest of the bottle down the sink to leave overnight.

I never pour fats or grease down the sink, but always in a tin can to throw out. I also have a strainer over the plug hole to catch any debris.

I believe the waste pipe goes from the kitchen under ground directly to the drain outside. I also think the washing machine uses the same waste pipe. When the washing machine is on, the water gurgles up into the kitchen sink.

The other annoying thing is that it seems to be 'catching'. A month ago my neighbour's kitchen sink was blocked and he had to call a plumber. Then a few weeks ago the person next door to him had the same problem... grr.

If anyone can offer any advice, I'd be grateful. Thanks for any help in advance.

Elle

Sponsored Links
elle i would talk to my neighbours and find out where their repair guys thought the problem was and how it was resolved. i think in your drain system there is a blockage that is causing you and your neighbours grief, probably down stream from your properties. do you have any inspection chambers you can open and have a look/

Thanks for your reply Terence. There's only an outside drain. I'm not sure I can open it though, as the plumber opened next door's and it must have been quite tough to do cos it's no longer in one piece.

Thanks for your reply Terence. There's only an outside drain. I'm not sure I can open it though, as the plumber opened next door's and it must have been quite tough to do cos it's no longer in one piece.
:eek: Check with your local Sewerage company - who you pay bills to ;) - you may find that they are now responsible for the part of your drains that are blocking :idea: . New - ish rules mean there`s lots of free work done that householders used to pay for:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for telling me to talk to my neighbours Terence. They said the problem stemmed from the drain outside or at least the plumber unblocked it from the drain outside.

Our drains are all aligned in a row, so probably lead into each other (although I have no clue).

Nige: I rang Thames Water and they said they would send an engineer out within 24 hours. I asked if there would be a charge and they said no because we share the sewers with the neighbours or something. I'm glad you told me that or I would have called out a private plumber.

First try and work out which way the drain line flows, to your left neighbour or right. Then check if they are blocked, also check the gully outside your kitchen window, normally these are unblock very quickly using a plunger. But on the other hand, if Thames Water are coming out then wait for them to sort it out for you. Now that the regulations have changed the problem is for them to sort out, just try and tie them down for a time slot and enjoy your Bank Holiday.

Andy

Thames Water's time slot is between now and 11am tomorrow. I hope they don't come 11pm at night!

Thanks Andy.

Thames Water came and said that it wasn't their responsibility. They're responsible for the sewers and that it was the gullies that were blocked, so it's either a private issue or a matter for the Council.

In the meanwhile, after using the snake another few times and pouring bicarb of soda, the sink has cleared, but it's making a lot of gurgling noises.

Does anyone know what the gurgling noises mean please? (I hope it's not hungry).

Thanks.

It looks like finally things are getting under way - personally I'd be getting loads of very hot water down there to hopefully keep things on the move.
Are any other sinks affected?
John :)

Hi John

It's just the kitchen sink, but it gurgles quite loudly.

Just rang the Council, the gulley is their responsibility, so they'll come next Monday to jet it.

I'll keep boiling the kettle and pouring boiling water down the sink John!

Do you think it's safe to use the washing machine?

Thanks.

I'd certainly give the washer a try, but to be fair to the machine it depends how quickly the sink is actually draining whether it will be happy or not.....
If you run your cold tap at say half flow, can the sink cope with that? If so, go ahead! The washing machine bales its water out quite quickly at first, and when the drum is empty - say a few litres - the pump flow reduces to a trickle.
John :)

Ok John I'll give it a go later. I filled the sink with cold water and it ran ok.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back