Clearing kitchen sink drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

In the greater scheme of building questions, a question about clearing the kitchen sink rates rather low.

But I have just done it and not surprisingly, found it somewhat blocked with black algae and gunk. I have searched with Dr. Google on how to keep it clear but I really do not understand.

Pouring bicarb of soda and vinegar will probably do the job, but that mixture will not get into the trap nor will it get further along the outlet pipes to clear them, which is where my blockage was.

Other than dismantling and manually clearing the pipes, is there a 'best way' to do it?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
That mixture won't clear a blockage but used regularly, once and month with a sink full of boiling water, will flush the gunge away and stop it building up.

By a power pump plunger to clear actual blockages or get a wet vac if it could be used for other things

Thanks. If used regularly, I can understand that it would keep the pipework clear (ish) but how does it do that after the trap? After the trap, it will just flow away and presumably, hardly clean anything.

After the trap, it will just flow away and presumably, hardly clean anything.
Not sure what you mean, anywhere the water runs, gunge can build up and anywhere the water runs the home cleaning solution will go, helping to clean that out. Especially if it's mixed up in boiling hot water and a complete sink full let go at once.

That being said a well designed and fitted waste pipe run, after the trap, should be self cleaning and keep itself mostly clear and a bit of DIY cleaning solution will help catch anything left behind and will sanitise the pipework.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back