Decommissioned Baxi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

New member so hope you'll be tolerant of my ignorance!

I'm wondering whether its possible to remove the old gas fire from the front of the baxi boiler. The baxi itself is decommissioned and has been replaced by a combi boiler in the bathroom (I live in a bungalow). The gas fire is very old and ugly, and I don't think it works. I tried to turn it on once in the winter and absolutely nothing happened at all, so from this I concluded that possibly there was no gas supply to the fire either.

I'd like to be able to remove the gas fire from the front. Is it possible? Or it is totally and utterly inadvisable and should I just leave it where it is?!

Thanks ever so much.
Aimee

Sponsored Links
Well the boiler should be disconnected already. I take it that the gas has already been cut off to it. If it has just take the whole lot out boiler and all. If not then get a gas fitter to cap it off and then you can drag the rest out.

Thanks ever so much. I'm fairly sure the gas to the whole lot has been disconnected. There is no audible gas supply when the gas fire is turned on, and other than a little click noise when the flint is clicked, absolutely nothing happens at all. I can't imagine why they'd have left a gas supply to any of it now that there's a combi boiler.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Aimee

i would get someone to check it as the as may have been left on to the fire although the bbu was disconnected

Sponsored Links
...I can't imagine why they'd have left a gas supply to any of it now that there's a combi boiler.

Nor could you begin to imagine the things I have seen.
Do yourself a favour, and get a gasfitter to check it, it won't cost the earth.

Well said Bengasman!! I agree with your sentiments some of the things you find are unbelievable I was once told "Never assume anything", best bit of advice I was ever given :eek:

by always never assuming something does that mean your already assuming something :confused:

I can't imagine why they'd have left a gas supply to any of it now that there's a combi boiler.

I can think of several. Firstly it is not uncommon to size the radiators for the room, with the presumption that if it is really cold the fire will be used. Hence disconnecting it would not be sensible. My lounge is like that, I need the fire to get it warm when it is really cold.

Second you might want to put in a real flame gas fire and make a feature of it. Therefore leaving it connected is less hassle as the supply pipe won't need testing (dead gas pipes need to be tested for leaks before being reconnected).

Second you might want to put in a real flame gas fire and make a feature of it. Therefore leaving it connected is less hassle as the supply pipe won't need testing (dead gas pipes need to be tested for leaks before being reconnected).

You're saying it won't need a tightness test after fitting a new fire because it was on existing pipe work??? :eek: :eek: Do everyone a favour mate....keep schtum, this kind of advice is just plain dangerous. I hope you're not an rgi.

I can't imagine why they'd have left a gas supply to any of it now that there's a combi boiler.

I can think of several. Firstly it is not uncommon to size the radiators for the room, with the presumption that if it is really cold the fire will be used.
Nonsense, and even if it was the case, closing the huge ventilation and flue openings would be more than sufficient to cure that problem

Hence disconnecting it would not be sensible. My lounge is like that, I need the fire to get it warm when it is really cold.
Chances are that your system is suffering from years of neglect and the heating is simply not working as well as it should.

When a new fire is installed, ALL the live gaspipe needs testing. In fact, all the gaspipes and appliances should be tested EVERY year, as is legally required for all rented properties in the country.

Please refrain from giving advice that is wrong as well as dangerous.

That's the worst thing about these types of advice forums. Someone asks advice on something, and in amongst the answers you get some berk who knows f all giving out wrong and dangerous advice. The original poster then doesn't know who to believe because said berk talks with the conviction of certainty, so sounds like he knows what he's on about to someone who doesn't know better. :evil: :evil:

You're saying it won't need a tightness test after fitting a new fire because it was on existing pipe work??? :eek: :eek: Do everyone a favour mate....keep schtum, this kind of advice is just plain dangerous. I hope you're not an rgi.

No, but my understanding is that a dead pipe (that is one disconnected at both ends) will need a full visual inspection along the entire length because you no have no idea how long it has been "dead" or what condition the pipe is in. In fact you have no idea if it is suitable for gas, and is not an old water pipe for example. I removed a ~8m length of pipe work last year under my floor, and it was not till after it was removed I worked out it had been for a gas fire. It was not capped at either end as well, and did not particularly smell of gas to boot. I figured it was for gas because one end looked to have had a gas fire on the wall previously.

Perhaps all pipe work should be visually inspected but I have never seen that done when an appliance is changed, leaving the pipe run undisturbed.

To describe it as testing was however wrong.

I'm wondering whether its possible to remove the old gas fire from the front of the baxi boiler. The baxi itself is decommissioned and has been replaced by a combi boiler in the bathroom (I live in a bungalow).

It should have been removed when your system was converted, so should old back boiler. If your boiler is installed in your bathoom then there are certain regulations regarding zone areas that have to be met. I hope you haven`t fallen for a cowboy for your installation. Did you check he was registered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back