Decommissioning wired thermostat for Hive 2 install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I've got a Hive dual channel receiver installed and functioning correctly but the heating control is being overridden by the old wired thermostat - when it's set above the current temperature then the Hive is working fine.

If I disconnect the old stat how should I make the wires safe?

IMG_6824.JPG
IMG_6831.jpg
IMG_6833 2.jpg
IMG_6824.JPG IMG_6831.jpg IMG_6833 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
The thermostat wires don't appear to be connected in the wiring centre.
They could be at the clock (which is probably where your hive receiver is now) post a picture of the connections.
The other alternatives are put the yellow wire under the same terminal as the red wire at the old thermostat and leave it in place, or fit a 1 gang switch box either surface or flush mounted and join the red and yellow wires with a connector and the blue in another connector then put a blank plate on the box.

Sponsored Links
The red wire in 4 is the heating feed. But it is hard to tell from your picture if the yellow wire with the grey wire in 2 is in the same 3 core and earth cable then that is probably the thermostat wire.
To try and find out swap the red and grey cables round, so grey in 4 and red in 2 with the yellow.
Obviously turn the power off before you do this.
Once you have done that try it out to see if it all works.
If it does then you need to disconnect the blue wire in the same cable as the red and yellow. You can put that in 2 as well. So now the thermostat wire is completely disconnected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back