decorating/diy suggestion needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello..

thinking of decorating hall/stairs/landing tomorrow....

want to make a decent job but 1 thing is annoying me that you guys might have a tip to solve...

at the bottom of the plaster board/stud wall either side of the stairs is a wooden stair skirting board type thing...

on a 5 foot appx stretch on one side the plasterboard that meets the skirting board thing 'gives' by a couple of mm if any sort of pressure is applied....this means that any sort of sealant/filler at the meeting of plasterboard/skirting breaks at the slightest touch of the wall...

I hate cracks so this one is a bind....

Is there any way of easily preventing the 'give' in the plasterboard (not a diy pro)....?..

many thanks for your advice

tony

Sponsored Links
Apply NO MORE NAILS behind the skirting (at sections) and leave till completely dry.

Then fill gaps with Decorators Caulk.

thanks...my problem is i could do with the ability to pull the plasterboard towards the skirting while the no more nail sets..

Buy some screws and the special raw plugs for drywall.

Get two bits of wood (i.e. skirtings) place one underneath the other on the gyproc (above skirting) but have one bit going down to the skirting on the floor.

Then apply the drill through the two peices of wood into the gyproc. Then place and screw in the screw & drywall raw plug. This will create the gyproc to come towards the skirting and leave over night (72 hours to be safe) with the glue in place.

NB Obviously you will need to got longer screws for the drywall raw plaugs in order to get through.

OR (as above may not work) the other option is to unfortunatly drill through the skirting & gyproc, then apply screws and drywall raw plugs through it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back