How do I decorate where the wall meets the skirting board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the wallpaper from the wall & the whole wall has a thin layer of 'cream' coloured paint over the plaster - what is this paint do you think?

Where the wall meets the skirting board there is a thicker paint in a line just above the skirting. It seems to be some sort of seal idea. Can you please tell me what products you think these are as I dont want to change it just fill in any areas where things are not 100%.

Thank you
wall 2 photo a.JPG

Sponsored Links
You can also see the cream line beneath the window sill..its the same as above the skirtings & pipe boxes

it is paint.

When the client specifies that a room is going to be wallpapered, the paint on the woodwork is purposely overlapped slightly onto the plaster, so that when the wallpaper is inaccurately cut, or shrinks back when drying, there will be no patch of bare plaster to catch the eye.

if the walls are going to be painted, there is no need to overlap.

it is paint.

When the client specifies that a room is going to be wallpapered, the paint on the woodwork is purposely overlapped slightly onto the plaster, so that when the wallpaper is inaccurately cut, or shrinks back when drying, there will be no patch of bare plaster to catch the eye.

if the walls are going to be painted, there is no need to overlap.

can I ask about the pipe boxing? Here there is a specific substance connecting the 2 edges of the plywood boarding. It is a bit rubbery feeling. Do you know of such a substance? Thank you JohnD!

Sponsored Links
might be silicone sealant

The old version could not be painted, so people used caulk, which shrinks and cracks.

Paintable sealant is a superior product.

The ply should be fastened with screws and a hidden batten, not just by a sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back