Decorating in Winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound like a silly question, but is it OK to re-decorate in the winter months? I live in the South of England.

I'm assuming that the radiator in the room will be turned off for the duration of decorating and drying time (needs to be removed to paint behind it anyway).

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi wzrd,

In the winter months decorating isn't as easy as it is throughout the summer, for obvious reasons such as with the walls being colder the paint doesn't stick as easy.

However this shouldn't stop you decorating, i wouldn't advise taking a whole house project for example and it really does depend on the size of the job! If it is only one room which it seems it is then do it!

One good idea is to buy a couple of portable radiators to heat up the room you are working in and also I would advise working around the middle of the day and not late at night or early in the morning.

I hope this helps you and good luck!

This might sound like a silly question, but is it OK to re-decorate in the winter months? I live in the South of England.

I'm assuming that the radiator in the room will be turned off for the duration of decorating and drying time (needs to be removed to paint behind it anyway).

Many thanks!

Painters and decorating firms do not hibernate over the winter,

"Inside jobs" in the winter are their "bread and butter" ( and Christmas cake !)

Removal of radiators can be a minefield, difficult to remove from brackets and replace, fraught with leaks and dirty water that stain forever. why not just use a long handled brush or radiator roller no one can see behind a radiator anyway.

Just keep the rooms warm and ensure there is not any condensation to create damp and you should be OK

Many thanks!

The cold weather will present some issues with regard to drying/curing times.

I'd recommend using oxidisers in the oil baseed paints, such as Terebene.

The water based paints will benefit from airflow- which unfortunately means opening the windows to let the (cold) air in. You may however find that that the waterbased paints take longer to be sandable (without clogging the sand paper). If you can't face the idea of letting too much cold air in then use some (heated) fans.

I'd be inclined to reduce the time that the radiator is AWOL.

Sponsored Links
In centrally heated homes interior redecoration is fine in winter.

Outside is a different story! Don't do it.

I forgot to add that oil based paints will become thicker when cold. You can aid flow by adding Owatrol oil.

Thanks all - I had to crack on with the renovation work over the winter months as I couldn't really sit and wait for the 'summer' months to start (they rarely come anyway :LOL:).

Had half the rooms re-plastered over November/early December, now continuing with the decorating. Some radiators had to come off anyway so I use a combination of a convection fan heater and radiators in other rooms to keep the house warm especially during and after decorating, with some airflow from the outside by leaving the window slightly open. A handy little thermometer ensures that the temperature is never below 10C (as the paint company recommends).

So far so good! Also, left the plaster to set for at least 7 days to ensure its fully cured before applying a mist coat, sometimes even longer. Purely as a pre-cautionary measure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back