Painting/Decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read just about everything pertaining to Painting/Decorating. Some very interesting situations. Kudos to Zampa (Trust me i'm a Decorator) for all his inputs. You can sense that he knows what he's talking about. Now I have a couple of questions. 1. I want to re-paper my hallway. Can I paper over the existing paper? There is a frieze/border running around the wallpaper at the ceiling level. Will that show if I paper over it? 2. My kitchen units were varnished at one time. Is it possible to paint over the varnish or can the colour be changed by restaining? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. No

2. Yes

3. Yes and no...

4. Yes...

1. No self respecting decorator (or me!) would ever attempt to paper over existing wallpaper. Too much can go wrong...it might work..you might get away with it...the only way youl find out is when its hung .... but you could end up with massive air bubbles in it, lifting seams, corners peeling, lack of complete adhesion to the existing paper....all sorts...beleive me it isnt worth the risk...I'd rather turn a job down than attempt it....ive seen what can go wrong...you could end up wasting a lot of your hard earned money.

The border will definatly show.

2. Yes you can paint over the units.....you need to prepare them well first though...

Give them a good wash down with sugar soap to remove any grease and grim especially around the handles.

Sand them down weill with a medium grade wet an dry paper or aluminium oxide paper (the green stuff) 80 grade should be ok...then sand them again with finer stuff to remove any scratch marks...

Was em over to remove the slurry left behind then coat them with something like melamine primer or dulux super grip primer to provide a key.

Then paint..id go for a oil based satin/eggshell finish...gloss may make them look a bit cheap.

You can use water based or oil based....the water based stuff takes a little practice so id go for oil.

Or you can indeed re stain them...but i would still prepare them first...many stains/varnishes are not compatable and they could end up peeling.

Hope that helps....

Thanks for you kind words...'kudos'?....nah....I prefer Calvin Klein.... :rolleyes: ;)

Thank you, Zampa. Well, accolodaes then, if not kudos. Calvin Kline? My wife says TAG! Who am I to argue with that. Anyway your point about cleaning and sanding the kitchen units was sort of expected BUT the doors and drawers have recessed areas close to the edges and raised pieces in the middle - the grooves difficult to get at with sandpaper. I guess no matter what way we go it will be time-consuming. Time for cogitating. I do appreciate your input. It is obvious that you have a keen interest in what you do. It is not easy to respond to so many different questions thrown out there. All good wishes in your daily endeavours. Your advice on wallpapering over wallpaper is much appreciated. We will not now attempt that.

I know what you mean about the recessed areas and grooves...try folding the abrasive papar in half and use the 'fold' to get into them.

I thought TAG made watches not aftershaves...i'll check that out next time im in Boots.

Preparation is always time consuming, the strange thing is about 'prep work' is if you people do it it notices and if you do....it doesnt...its always the thankless task of decorating.....I spend ages rubbing down, sealing, filling, rubbing down again, lining then painting bad wall bad walls......then the customer comes along and says..'nice colour' :(

One thing.....when you sand.....always sand in the direction of the grain in the wood.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, Zampa. Patience, as they say, is a virtue. When it comes to sanding I'm not sure I have enough of it.

Yep, TAG does make watches. You may not find TAG (Body Spray for Men) at Boots. My wife brought it back from the States last time. Ah! you might not like it anyway. Sprays come and go and perspiration goes on forever.

Know what you mean about the finished job. No one ever sees below the surface. But a job well done brings its own kind of satisfaction. A man who takes pride in what he does can hold his head up high.

Just had a thought. Is there a varnish remover that would remove the old varnish quicker than sanding?

zampa, do you think that its because youre up close and personal to the wall youre working on so to speak. I find that i notice every blemish and it stands out like a beacon to me, but as you say the customer comes along, looks at it and says cor thats nice, yet you stand there thinking i can see that little bit i missed!

Thermo said:
zampa, do you think that its because youre up close and personal to the wall youre working on so to speak. I find that i notice every blemish and it stands out like a beacon to me, but as you say the customer comes along, looks at it and says cor thats nice, yet you stand there thinking i can see that little bit i missed!

I normally stand in front of it so the customer cant see it! :evil:

Yeh, I know what you mean.....sometimes you can look too much....try too hard, theres a line between perfection and an acceptable job...ive been in the postion loads of times when a colleague or my apprentice has said 'aint we giong a bit over the top here'...but what do you do?...sods law that if you leave something it will get picked up by the customer.

Its a strange situation....sometimes you know the job looks a bit ropey...even though you have done your best...but the customer either accepts it..or doesnt care anyway...........other times you prep and prep and prep....and they pick up on something trivial...

The worst one is preparing in a bad light...then the sun comes out.or the customer intalls their brand new flourescent light...and BOSH you perfect wall looks like a moonscape!

Some situations are 'negligable' a wall may need lining..it may not...it may need sealing, it may not....ir may need caulking over completly..it may not...I always advise the customer what the best solution will be in my opinion...and what the cheapest solution is...then its down to them...everyone has a budget and has to work within it....hey, including the decorator!

Im only human (just!) and i'll admit that probably every job I do....painting wise at least, I could have done better....but I have done done it within the confines of the customers budget...yeh you could pay me 50 quid to do a door, it would be like glass....or you could pay me ten quid...and it would be good enough for the money.

I think any other dekkies on here would agree you can only go so far with prep work...

The perfect paint job...virtually impossible...

Just had a thought. Is there a varnish remover that would remove the old varnish quicker than sanding?

Yep....ordinary paint stripper will do the job...there are also 'organic' alternatives if you are environmentally conscious...but you still have the grief of getting into all the crevices...and its very time consuming too...ive been to loads of started and not finished jobs where customers have got fed up half way through...i'd seriously think about sanding them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back