Paint finish in a cupboard where a tumble drier situated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to use lining paper to cover unsightly plater walls in a small cupboard, 1.3 metre square, which I use for storage but which also houses a tumble drier with integral condenser. I don't want to risk the possibility of the humidity of this small area causing the wallpaper to loosen; is there a particular type of paint or pehaps a prior treatment to the lining paper before painting which would lessen the risk. In a similar vein, is there a varnish or a finish that decorators use to cover a painted paper in bathrooms to avoid the humidity/steam loosening the paper from the walls?

Sponsored Links
The condensor should remove moisture so only dry air emitted, poor ventilation is the cause of paper lifting in a bathroom not the type of covering.If you don't ventilate correctly paper will peel whatever it's coated with. Thats why a steamer is so good at removing paper.

OK. Do you think therefore I need not be concerned too much about this and just paint the walls with a good (Dulux?) matt emulsion or one specifically designed for kitchens and bathrooms?

despite the impression the name gives, condensing driers still issue quite a lot of water vapour :( and in a cupboard it will not be ventilated away.

I presume there is no scope for vents or extractor fan, or you would be using a vented drier.

Sponsored Links
No. That's the problem. The cupboard has no external wall and the nearest is situated about 12' away. I just thought that there might be a simple solution to coating the paper prior to painting, or after painting, that might seal it and reduce the risk of damp air loosening the paper. Someone told me that I should get a glaze??? from an artists shop and paint that over the finished emulsion but I haven't a clue what he was talking about. I can't see a reference to it in any DIY sites. Thanks anyway.

then I suppose ventilate the cupboard well, perhaps with louvre doors or a large gap at top and bottom of the door, and/or cutouts in the sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back