Decorating New Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new plasterboard ceiling and walls skimmed and am now in the process of decorating. Having waited for it all to dry out I have sized the walls and then hung lining paper. On the ceiling I have directly applied at 4:1 paint:water diluted silk emulsion.

My question is how well should one expect these to adhere. The wallpaper at first seems to have stuck well, it being difficult to 'pick' up at the edges, but then once an edge is freed is seems to peel off suprisingly easily. The paint also apears to have stuck well, but having read about a test with celotape, I found that it can be readily removed by sticking tape to it and then pulling the tape off.

Is this usual and am I expecting too much, or have I got some problems to fix?

Sponsored Links
You should've used covermatt or at least vinyl matt on new plaster etc. Silk/satin will just 'sit on the surface ' ..terrible stuff ;)

Must be the time of year or something; someone else sticking lining paper over new plaster skimmed walls, why on earth are you doing that :eek:

Never use silk emulsion on new/bare plaster, it really won’t stick very well (as the Selotape test has shown) & there is a real risk your paint will crack & peel as it dries out thoroughly. To prime new/bare plaster, all you need is a cheap white matt emulsion (I use own brand), thinned 25-30%; apply 2/3 coats in quick succession to keep it damp (helps adhesion) & then leave to dry out thoroughly before finish painting or, if you really must, stick lining paper over it; but why you guys do it beats me! :confused:

Thanks for the responses. Any ideas on how to get the the silk off, or at least back to a workable state? It's a relatively small area.

I quite like lining paper on walls as I find it tends to cover any micro cracks one gets in the skim and also gives a nicer texture for painting, but I guess everyone has there own preferences. Any thoughts on whether I should be expecting relatively easily peelable paper on the sized wall or whether it ought to difficult to peel even once it's initially picked away from the surface?

Sponsored Links
I would try washing the silk off the ceiling or scraping if it softens enough with a good soak but someone else might have a better suggestion (I've not been faced with a similar situation before).

With regard to the paper - it will peel easier if not fully dry (or if the plaster was not fully dry before sizing). It's also possible that the paste was too thin or that there wasn't enough on the paper or at least not on the edges - which can happen easily. If it is just the edges that are loose you could just peel back and re-paste or you may want to strip all paper and re-do (or strip, wash and paint).

Any ideas on how to get the the silk off, or at least back to a workable state? It's a relatively small area.
If a hot water wash won’t soften it to a peelable state, you could try gently steaming it (I have used this method to remove paint layers from Artex ceilings prior to stripping) but don’t overdo the heat or you could start popping the new skim off the wall.
I quite like lining paper on walls as I find it tends to cover any micro cracks one gets in the skim
If you’ve got micro cracks on a newly skimmed wall, either it hasn’t been properly prepared or it's been incorrectly plastered.
& also gives a nicer texture for painting, but I guess everyone has there own preferences.
I still don’t follow how lining paper with joins in it can possible look better or give a better painted texture than a professionally & properly skimmed wall; but as you say, each to their own. ;)

If there's nothing wrong with your ceiling as it is, except when you stick sellotape on it, then what 's the point in struggling to remove it?
I would expect fresh paint to come off if I stuck sellotape on it and pulled it off!
If your plaster was dry when you painted it, then it will be o.k. if you've used a decent silk.

You say The paint also apears to have stuck well - stop worrying and continue on with your painting or you'll nacker it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back