Decorating new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please on decorating a newly plastered house?
Do i need to prime or undercoat the new plaster before emulsion!?
Whats the best method?

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is a miscoat first, that is a very thinned down coat of emulsion, you put that on and it not only seals the plaster, but shows any imperfections there might be in the plaster for you to fill and make good, you then paint your further coats as normal.
If your doing the whole house, it might pay you to buy some cheapish white just for the miscoat, as would work out expensive in colour for each room.

I would not use Vinyl paint, as its not suitable for new plaster, buy paint that is either trade, or says on tin or tub, suitable for new plaster, this is only my opinion, and how I would do it. :)

spice said:
The best thing to do is a miscoat first, that is a very thinned down coat of emulsion, you put that on and it not only seals the plaster, but shows any imperfections there might be in the plaster for you to fill and make good, you then paint your further coats as normal.
If your doing the whole house, it might pay you to buy some cheapish white just for the miscoat, as would work out expensive in colour for each room.

I would not use Vinyl paint, as its not suitable for new plaster, buy paint that is either trade, or says on tin or tub, suitable for new plaster, this is only my opinion, and how I would do it. :)

Just one small point there...if the walls are skimmed then its ok to use vinyl matt...its only when they are deep you need to use a contract non vinyl emulsion to allow them to breathe

following advice from here I recently did a 30% watered down cheap white emulsion, then a 15% watered down cheap white emulsion, then 2 coats of final colour, and it looks fantastic, probably best finish I've ever had, so it pays to listen to these guys! :D

Sponsored Links
I have just miscoated my new bathroom walls with 50/50 Paint (dulux trade) and water.

It's been drying 4 hours and on trying to apply the next coat the first one is coming off - any ideas on how long to leave it before applying a second coat on top of miscoat?

:confused:

spice said:
buy paint that is either trade, or says on tin or tub, suitable for new plaster, this is only my opinion, and how I would do it. :)

Unless its Dulux Trade Paint. I would not use this for a mistcoat. Dulux go the other way in their description. Trade paint is for the professional it is also expensive. I would use a contract emulsion well watered then when dry normal trade vinyl matt

Redalfa146 sounds like it was either too thick and sitting on top of polished plaster or you didn't let it dry long enough. Leave it overnight to be sure. Theres no rush.

zampa spot on again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back