decorating novice - advise before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we are looking to paint our hallway (incl stairs, walls, ceiling and skirting). Having been in rented accommodation before i haven't decorated so no previous experience unfortunately.

1) what grit sandpaper should i use for sanding stairs prior to painting and during coats?

2) i may need some wood filler for stairs and some other for filling old screw holes in walls. are they all same or any brands better than other? are there any which can be used both on brick walls and wood or i need separate ones? just thinking if so, it may save me buying two different products.

3) as can be seen from photos, walls are wallpapered in textured paper and painted. i just want to paint on top. in some places wallpaper is coming off. do i just stick it back with wallpaper glue?

4) in some places the wallpaper and skirting joints can be seen? can i use sanding paper to smooth these surfaces out? what grit sandpaper i use?

View media item 74320 View media item 74321 View media item 74322
thanks
J

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back