Decorating over a sealed up doorway - it bulges!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous occupants of our house sealed up the door that joins the lounge to the hall. They accomplished this by plastering over the door on both sides and then papering with bumpy wallpaper. The lounge side looks fine but the hall size bulges noticeably for some reason. I stipped the paper off to reveal the plaster and I can see where they tried in vain to blend it in with the rest of the wall.

How can I hide this? I want a perfectly smooth wall that I can paint. Presumably I need to fix the old door way before I get my plasterer in?

Sponsored Links
Not really..why not get the plasterer to have a look at it for you?...he/she may be abe to pull it out with plaster.

If you want to tackle it yourself then buy a sack of gyroc easi fil and a wide filling knife and build up layers around the door until you can even it out. dont put too much on, its better to use two or three thin coats of filler as opposed to one thick one which may sag or need loads of rubbing down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back